cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Khood

Feeling that I have already done too much damage

Almost 3 days into my quit.   Did anyone else feel like quitting was a lost cause because of the damage done?  I know its just my brain but it feels hopeless at this point.  I could really use some feedback, specifically tangible benefits I can begin to look forward to.  just read that we have a 14x higher chance of getting the severe form of the virus and I am feeling deflated

Tags (1)
12 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Here is an article with the tangible benefits of quitting.  Not mentioned is the increase in self-esteem, your sense of smell and taste improving, the absence of that stench about your hair, clothes and environment, the fact that you skin might be noticeably more vibrant,  the elimination of the stigma felt as a person who continues to smoke and the coughing fit after every good bout of laughter!

Quit Smoking Calculator: Timeline Benefits, Body Effects & Saving Money 

You also might consider how your life might be inconvenienced by having to manage an oxygen supply and lugging it around everywhere you go.

There is NEVER a good reason to smoke; there are only excuses.

Don't make them!  You are off to a GREAT start!

Khood

Thank you for the link, it's always helpful to remind myself why I'm doing this.  Cigarettes are NOT AN OPTION

sweetplt

You are at the point where Nico is getting out of your body and he is calling you and wanting you back...don’t do it...don’t feed the addict...As far as the virus...you need to do the best possible to protect yourself and live your life...I almost died 10 years ago from a brain aneurysm...and I never think hopeless...I think each day I wake up is a great day...You are early in your quit...it takes time to feel the good results of quitting...and definitely takes more than 3 days...right now You and Your Quit are the most important...baby yourself and take care of YOU...stay close for us to help you...~ Gotcha in my thoughts ~ Colleen 478 DOF 

Khood

Thank you for telling your story.  I am usually a very hopeful person.  This is just really twisting my mind.

7miracles

my mom has emphysema, still smokes, and the doctors beg her to quit as quitting would prolong her life. So even when you’re that far gone, quitting helps your health

marciem

A friend of mine said, many times "I did not quit to live longer, I quit to live better"., and he said to me 10 days before he passed from lung cancer "No matter my outcome, quitting smoking was hands down the best thing I ever did."

So you can take it from there.  I know that the evil demon addiction is trying to convince you to smoke, but don't believe those lies!!  It is NEVER too late to quit, there is no such thing as "TOO MUCH DAMAGE" to live a comfortable life after smoking.  There are others here with more damage than I,  but for me I have had lung cancer (treated and hopefully cured) and severe COPD.  I still enjoy my life and it definitely IS better without being addicted to smoking.

As the above friend also said "Not 100% of days will be great, but 100% of days will be better without smoking".

Best too you!  You have a great start, and it is ALWAYS easier to hold on to the quit you have than to start another one... which you will when the smoke clears, if you smoke again.

RIP John " Invisible Man"  Gilbert ... you weren't invisible and you impacted so many that you still live.

Cousin-Itt

I remember my last 2 cigarettes on the way to the emergency room I sucked them down fast knowing it would be awhile in the emergency room.  The next thing I remember waking up 4 days later hands tied to the bed and on a ventilator with my wife and boys by my bed  I'll make this Quick I almost died my kidneys were failing at the time, my heart  afib.  pneumonia The doctor came in told me that the first night they were worried if I was going to make After 2 weeks in the hospital I went home I had a large growth in my right upper lung  nodules in my lung and early stages of emphysema.

My pulmonary doctor told he didn't care if I quit smoking or not he would always do his best for me My choice he said is what type of life I want to live and how quick do I want to die.  I'm here to tell you my nodules have not grown the mass on my lung went away with antibiotics my kidneys went back to normal. My COPD hasn't really got any worse and I have a new grandson who is 3 months old and 2 older grandchildren not to mention 3 grown caring men and a awesome wife

his is a minor list of benefits for me       I got a second chance in life and I'll fight for every second    

elvan

Welcome to EX.  I remember when I quit that I suspected it might be "too late" for me.  I already had COPD with significant lung damage.  I was short of breath all the time and I knew it was irreversible and progressive.  That was over six years ago.  I have NEVER regretted quitting, not even for a minute.  Is my life all sunshine and roses now?  No, not a chance but I am not killing myself every day.  I am doing my best to take care of myself and to be the person I should always have been.  I had to learn to feel things that I had stuffed for so many years, things I should have learned as a teenager.  It is never too late to be the person you are supposed to be.  You will recognize strengths in yourself that you did not know you had.  It isn't easy but it is so worth it and you will feel better and better about yourself.  You will be pleasantly surprised.  This community is supportive and caring and we all had to start at the beginning, it's a GREAT time to quit.

Ellen

indingrl

I prayed for YOU in MY Lord Jesus name amen