cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Whew! Im 8 days in and i cant freaking breathe!

Ok so I found this site before I quit and I've been reading everyone's comments.  You guys are all so kind and helpful with eachother!

I am 8 days in. Still having cravings after I eat but not too bad. I had to quit cold turkey because iam awaiting a back surgery and had to quit to get it accepted by the insurance company.  No complaining, I needed and wanted to do it. Just paying the price of being forced to go cold Turkey.  

Day 4 I started feeling like i just ate a huge meal...when i did not... then started wheezing. Day 5 my while rib cage felt like I'd been hit by a truck everywhere. Super painful.  And mind you, right now iam on narcotics to help with the back pain, and I can still feel this pain in my ribs. I am not able to cough a lit because when I do I worsen the back pain a lot. Been using humidifier and taking hot showers.  I'm on day 8 and still no improvement.  I'm seeing a lot or people saying that they have tightness in the chest during withdrawal.  Is what I'm feeling normal?! How long is this going to last?! Help!

19 Replies

Some breathing difficulty can be normal as your body adjusts to not having the smoke and nicotine.

I suggest calling your doctor about this if you are having severe difficulties.

YoungAtHeart

Welcome to the community!

Congratulations on your willingness to work at this quit, and your first successful 8 days.

I would definitely check with your doctor.  We aren't them  - and this pain sounds extreme to me. 

An important thing you can do to help you along in this journey is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This easy and entertaining read provided a world of good information about nicotine addiction, most of which I was not aware.  I credit it in large part with my success at quitting.   You can search for it online or at your local library.

Here are some tips to help you in your quit (if you haven't already figured them out!).

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try coming here to read,  then taking your shower and THEN your coffee!   Sit in a different chair in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to the places your normally travel.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, play a computer game, count backwards from 1,000, think of girls/boys names for each letter of the alphabet. Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

MarilynH

I'm so sorry you're in so much pain I would suggest calling your Dr's office to see if maybe you need a different prescription and to relay to your Dr your symptoms especially after 8 days, remain Smokefree because Relapsing isn't an option anymore, stay close because we care.... tiffanisaltkill

JACKIE1-25-15

There are some who have experienced tightness in the chest.  However, yours seems more than what I have heard of. Check with your doctor.

Barbscloud

Congrats on your 8th day smoke free.  That's fabulous.   Some quitters do have more severe withdrawal symptoms.  Some symptoms are common to many--like bloating.   And some quitters develop what's described as quitters flu.  So even though what your experiencing may be normal, it's best to check with your physician to play it safe.  We're not able to diagnose what requires medical attention.  

Spend time with us especially early in your quit.  We're here to support you.

Barb

Maki

I would call your doctors office and tell them all of these symptoms .  Also tell them your quit history and any other medical history . I've never heard myself of pain being a part of quitting smoking other than craves of course being a pain .  There is something called quitters flu but not everything is because of quitting smoking either .   If I had concerns like this I would call my doctor .  

Wheezing can be caused by many things .  Certainly coughing a lot can hurt your ribs . Been there with pneumonia and bronchitis often . Your doctor is your best resource for accurate info , diagnosis and treatment . 

Gerd is something common with quitting smoking . 

elvan

I really think you should call your doctor.  I have scoliosis and chronic back pain, coughing is really uncomfortable but it's necessary to clear your lungs.  Deep breathe and cough, you will have to do it after surgery to prevent pneumonia.  Perhaps they could give you an incentive spirometer to help you practice deep breathing.

When is your surgery?  Please contact your doctor, you are doing GREAT!

Ellen

Giulia

So, since the majority say talk to your doctor - talk to your doctor!   I agree with them.  There are may quitting symptoms that are fine and nothing to worry about, but wheezing, super painful rib cage - go have it checked out.  But just know this: you are doing the best thing you can do for you body right now.  All your cells are getting more oxygen.

None of this is fun I know.  But your body is actually thanking you in ways of which you have no idea.  And drink a LOT of water at this time.  It will help the detox process.  Hang in.  And call your doctor!

Oh, and PS:  8 days is PHENOMENAL!  Many cheers wafting to you from here in Tennessee.

sweetplt

Hi and Welcome to Ex’s ... tiffanisaltkill ... we are here for you and so happy you are 8 days Free...However, we are not medical professionals and I would see / call my Doctor...You really need to be checked out.  Sometimes our immune system gets a bit weak when we first quit smoking because the body is cleaning out from all the chemicals, toxics, etc., we were putting in for many years.  Leading to us getting sick...so call your Doctor and please let us know how you are doing? Gotcha in my thoughts...Colleen 478 DOF