cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

francostanzo

How to deal with triggers

I want to quit.  I know I need to quit.  I can't keep it out of my head.

When they're not around, I have a good chance of not smoking, but sometimes I just can't keep myself from running down to the store for another pack.

Most times, I get disgusted and throw away most of the pack so I only have a few.  That stresses me out more.
I know smoking is mostly about fear, and in fact nicotine addiction and psychological triggers are what keep me smoking.
What strategies do people have to deal with those really strong triggers that enter the mind constantly?
I'm new to this site.

What are the best places to visit to help with triggers?

Tags (2)
16 Replies
PastTense

Good morning, francostanzo‌!  You have come to the right place.

I struggle with cravings and triggers, too.  REALLY struggle.

There are tips, tricks, and tools for dealing with them. 

Having a written quit plan helped me.  I wrote down what my triggers were likely to be and what I was going to do about it (play with a straw, sip water from a straw, breathing excercises, take a walk, etc).  It works.  THinking ahead and making a plan WORKS.

You can also POST HERE when you have a craving.  Folks here are really good about talking you off the ledge.

Lastly, track your DOF (Days of Freedom) and post it every day when you take the pledge.  Sometimes knowing you have been clean for a few days can give you stamina to hold out against a crave.

I'm glad you found us!  Quitting smoking is the best thing you can do for yourself.

Keep the quit

PT

Keep the Quit
PT
francostanzo

Thanks PastTense‌,

I think a quit plan is a good idea.  I'll work on that today.

I don't really like NRT, but I threw on a patch this morning to see if that helps with the chemical addiction.  One things at a time, I suppose.

Cheers.

PastTense

I used the patch for a while, too. It helped muffle the cravings just enough for me to power through them.  Then I discovered I was allergic to the adhesive they use... 

You are quite right to mention chemical addiction.  Smoking gets its nefarious hooks into us both as a chemical addiction and habit.  Withdrawal is part of the chemical addiciton.  Triggers are part of the habit.  We have to break the links to conquer this beast.

PT

Keep the Quit
PT
SuzyQ411

Great response PastTense‌ 

0 Kudos
francostanzo

So, a long time ago, a friend gave me a book called "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking", by Allen Carr.  I read this book and stopped half way through the book and didn't smoke again for years.  I describe the book as self-hypnosis, because it just tells you the things you already know, but doesn't require you to quit while you're reading it.
Anyway, I started smoking again stupidly, but I didn't care that much because I thought I could read the book again and I would just stop.  It worked.  That then, became an excuse and a false sense of security if I ever fell off the wagon again.  Well, I read it a couple months ago, and what do you know, it didn't work.

One thing that was a big takeaway from the book is that the biggest part of quitting smoking is not the physical addiction, it's not the habit, but fear of being without cigarettes.
If I can get myself to realize that at times of weakness, I can stop myself from doing it.  Thinking not about the temporary relief I'll get by satisfying the chemical craving, but the disappointment and self-loathing right after I put it our.

Anyway, it helps to talk these things through, I guess.
We'll see how today goes.

Fran

PastTense

I agree - it helps to talk (or write ) about these things.  I thought Allen Carr's was so awful and tedious and self-serving that I literally threw the damn thing across the room.  I was suffering from withdrawal a little, so that might account for the over-the-top response. 🙂

Still, some solid ideas for quitting smoking and confronting our fears.

PT

Keep the Quit
PT
Barbscloud

You've gotten some good advice.   Educating yourself about nicotine addiction and creating a quit plan My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX .  I had never done that before and, of course, I wasn't successful.   Knowledge and preparation leads to success. Decide if you want to use an aid, medication, or do it cold turkey.  There are successful quitters here that have done each. .  We're all going to have cravings and triggers--it's about learning how to cope with them in advance.  The psychological part of quitting is going to last much longer than the physical withdrawal.   During that time, we learn new behaviors and new associations.   Changing up your routine can be make it possible to handle those situations positively.  The best example is that many of us have a problem with coffee and smoking.  The two seem to go together.  So changing up that routine becomes a new behavior.  I always drank mine on porch while I smoked.  I switched to drinking it while I'm on the Ex in the morning.  There are many more scenarios where we can lean new behaviors.   The support on this site also contributed to my success.  You can reach out anytime you need support.  So instead of going to the store, use the tools you've developed and reach out.

Barb

YoungAtHeart

Welcome to the community!

I agree that the Allen Carr book is a game changer.  You've got the information now - so USE it.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to work and to all your normal places.  While you are driving, count the red/blue/white cars you see, or the pick-ups, or the lights you hit or miss.  Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

JACKIE1-25-15

I believe you can quit smoking if you make quitting smoking your number one priority. You can do this if you make up your mind that you can.  Relearning your thinking that you do not have to smoke is a good beginning.  No matter what make a commitment never ever take another puff.  NOPE.  Take smoking off the table as an option and do something different. 101 Things to Do Instead of Smoke SINAO smoking is not an option.  That is NOPE concept Not one puff ever. We have to be willing to do the work. It is not by will power but your willingness to do this.   Quitting is the easy part.  Staying quit takes work.   Learning to protect your quit will keep on your journey forever freedom. This journey is one day at a time.  Never give up, never give in. Hang tough Stay Close. Education is the key to successfully quit. Read, Study, Blog and be willing to do the work.  With the help of the to EX Community you can have a forever quit.  Start by educating yourself about the addiction to nicotine. Know the LAW!  If you Go to My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX  and review the videos and learn more about what your triggers and how to prepare when the urge hits.  I am a firm believer education is the key to success. I was advised to read Allen Carr's Easyway to Quit Smoking which can be found on pdf on the web.  Another good site to get info which was very helpful to me is  www.whyquit.com.  There are several articles to read.  Nicotine 101 and Freedom From Nicotine My Journey Home.  To get help on navigating the site go to. Community Help