cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Karen333

Why now?

Today will be my 14th day without a cigarette. Why am I craving them SO MUCH? I woke up and immediately wanted one, then I realized I didn't do that anymore and felt bummed out.I hurried and put a patch on my arm and stuck a mini mint in my mouth. This is the first time of the 14 days that I am really feeling the urge. As I type this I am taking deep slow breaths. I know this virus thing is on my mind. I am thankful I do not smoke anymore. Just want to put this out there for anyone to support me. Thank you, Karen

38 Replies

The nicotine receptors in your brain are screaming right now for their "fix".

Over time, they will go dormant and stay that way as long as you never take another puff.

YoungAtHeart

Try repeating, " I don't do that anymore" to help retrain your thoughts.  THEN - get busy!  Go for a walk, or march in place, or do a few sets of stairs, or clean out a drawer, or call a friend.  You did good to come here to vent!

Doesn't seem as though it should be true - but you are still early in your journey, and added stress can call forth cravings.  Smoking is what you used to do to take a break from it.  Do stay off the news about it for awhile.  If you already know what to do and are doing it, there is no reason to further stress about it.

Hang in there - you did well not to smoke!

Now keep going!

Nancy

Baymmlee

I also use this same technique “I don’t do that anymore” and eventually the day to day gets easier but every once and a while it shows it’s ugly face and try’s to bring you back.  I tell myself that line after every bad thought.  

Barbscloud

What you're experience is normal at the phase of quitting.  This is the time to draw on your tools.  Go for a walk if you can.  It really helps to refocus.  Coming to the Ex is an excellent thing to do. Having support is so beneficial in keeping your quit.  We're here for you, so reach out as often as needed.   You're doing great.   With each of these successes, you build confidence.

Barb

sweetplt

Hi Karen 

14 days of Freedom is super great...but (uh-oh) the big but...you are still early in your journey.  The Nicodemon is wanting you back and he likes to come at you when you least expect it.  Be one step ahead of him and be ready yet to work against him.  Work your plan, by knowing you must stay vigilant until you are more secure in your quit.  The virus is a good time to say I am not going to smoke, because that virus likes to go after smokers and those very vulnerable.  Keep close to the support site, especially when you feel the urge again.  I commend you on coming here and posting about your feelings.  Hang in there...~ Colleen 470 DOF 

maryfreecig

Great blog. Two weeks is a milestone--a really big deal -- congratulations. Each urge, for whenever it comes, has to be dealt with for that urge and you did that. High five. Don't worry about tomorrows smobriety just keep your mind on today and what it is that you can do to stay smober. Ex is here for you 365.

Stick with it. Give it another week and see how you feel.

And use that self talk to retrain your brain, it makes all the difference. 

"I don't do that anymore."

Mandolinrain

14 days is AWESOME!

Good advice above. Eventua;;y you will notice some days the craves are worse or not as bad as others. Theybwill fluctuate and that a good things because it means your getting closer to NO CRAVES

Meanwhile I always recommend  ( on top of what others above have suggested ) using a little Vicks vapor rub under your nose. It truly helped my craves go bye-bye. I also used the Vicks inhaler. Both gave me wonderful results. Not sure why, but you may want to try it.

MarilynH

A super duper CONGRATULATIONS on your precious quit journey YAY for 14 splendiferous Smokefree days and counting WTG YAY for each and every Day WON with many more to come stay close because we're all here to help you in any way we can you are doing this quit and you're doing it one precious Smokefree Day at a time or hour minute or even a second at a time you've got this.....