cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Cousin-Itt

OHIO

Ohio Governor Mike DeWine has issued orders.  All Bars and Restaurants (carry out still permitted) will close tonight at 

9:00 pm   Governor DeWine also stated school closing may be extended DeWine said he believes Ohio’s classrooms may not be able to reopen this spring to complete the school year as the state’s number of coronavirus cases continues spiral

Tags (1)
11 Replies
YoungAtHeart

AMEN and Hallelujah!  Good for him!!!

A lot of the young'uns are still planning to do St.Patricks Day bar crawls - oblivious to the fact they may, without symptoms,  transmit the virus to a child undergoing chemo for cancer, or an elderly woman with COPD, or another young person who has RA and  is taking drugs that have them immune-suppressed.  The message does not seem to be getting to them.  Scares the cr@p out of me that they will be out in force, and then out in force.

We are NOT doing a good job of transmitting the seriousness of this, at all.

Same here in Illinois 

elvan

I shudder to think what it will take to wake people up.  My daughter is the GM at an Irish Pub in NY and she said that people were lined up for the parade even though it was well publicized that it had been cancelled  She said food orders during the day were really limited but that at night, the bar was full, people were shoulder to shoulder and they don't have enough space to put tables as far apart as they should be. It's REAL, Ohio's governor has got this one right.

Ellen

Cousin-Itt

One of the major grocery chains here are talking about from 7am the time they open till 9am limiting shopping to elderly only to help protect them.    They are already closing early to clean and restock

Mandolinrain

I'm very happy they are being proactive about this . We are encouraging friends to order from restaurants to help them and we are  encouraging kids in area schools who are in HS to help with babysitting as now daycares may also be closing. I am getting involved tomorrow with a group to help get food to elderly and needy. Ohio schools are also going to supply breakfasts and lunches, Supplements are also being provided for those who are sick or unable to go to work.

Its good seeing everyone come together for a change, democrat, republican or whatever...we need to pull together and help where we can and put all politics-race and gender aside.

indingrl

Mandolinrain

Establishments can stay open for carry-out and delivery. What we can't have is people congregating and seated. Every day we delay, more people will die. If we do not act and get some distance between people, our health care system in Ohio will not hold up. The loss won't only be those impacted by COVID19, but the danger is also to everyone else who needs hospital care for other issues."

The big picture: Despite Ohio only reporting about 30 cases, DeWine has been among the leading governors in the country sounding the alarm about the threat of the coronavirus.

DeWine was the first governor in the country to close all schools statewide, and said on CNN earlier Sunday that he wouldn't be surprised if schools did not reopen again this academic year.

He added at his press conference Sunday afternoon that he eventually plans to close Ohio's daycare centers, and he urged parents to take their children out of daycare if possible.

What to watch: As was the case with school closures, expect more states to follow DeWine and Pritzker's leads. Dr. Anthony Fauci, the government's top infectious disease expert, made a plea on the Sunday morning talk shows for young people to stop flooding bars and restaurants.

“I think we should be overly aggressive and get criticized for overreacting," he said. "I think Americans should be prepared that they are going to have to hunker down significantly more than we as a country are doing.”

Mike Dewine

Sootie

What is Ohio's position on child care centers?

Mandolinrain

Sootie‌ 

• Gov. Mike DeWine announces all bars and restaurants in the state of Ohio will close Sunday at 9 p.m. indefinitely
  • Carry-out and delivery will be allowed
  • He says this will apply to dine-in options only
  • 37 coronavirus cases in Ohio; 11 hospitalized
  • The ages range from 31 to 86
    • One person sick with the coronavirus in Ohio is a firefighter; Dr. Amy Acton says it is possible that single illness will make the entire department inactive because of exposure
    • The state will broaden unemployment access for people who are in quarantine
    • Gov. DeWine has advised superintendents and school districts to prepare for closures to last more than three weeks
    • DeWine wants employers to evaluate having as many people as possible work from home
    • DeWine says daycares will eventually be closed

Governor DeWine said he knew the move would put stress on workers and families, however, "Delay means more people will die," he said.

"If we do not act...our health care system in the state of Ohio will not hold up," DeWine stated.

Ohio Department of Health Director Amy Acton, M.D. followed by saying, "The cases are the tip of the iceberg."

"This is not a drill. This is a once in a lifetime pandemic," Dr. Acton said.

"We have broad community spread in the state," said Dr. Acton.

Daycares will eventually be closed in Ohio as well, Gov. DeWine says.

"I'm pleading with parents: If you have children in daycare and can keep them home, please do it. To close daycares overnight won't work, but it's coming."