cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Kimberly3069

Getting rid of smoke odor

What is the best way to rid my car of smoke odor?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Cousin-Itt

A friend who works for a car used car dealership prepares cars that have any type of bad odor  

Vacuum, wash all hard surfaces with mild detergent, use spray foam cleaner on all cloth, With car off remove cabin filter and while car is running they spray a little Lysol into the intake to help kill germs in ducts,  Turn car off Install new cabin filter The final step is they runs a Ozone Generator for 20 to 30 minutes depending on size of car Than they open doors and window to air out for 20 minutes I have a pick up truck I used for work and between the smoke and the smell of different chemicals I spilled over the years Doing the everything except the Ozone Generator really helped but until he did me the favor of using the generator I still had a slight odor The Ozone Generator removed all the odor

Now I know you may not have a Ozone Generator doing all the others is a tremendous help. Don't skip the cabin filter , 

YoungAtHeart

You might try putting a cut apple under each front seat until it's dried up.  It will absorb some of the odor, too.  Leave the windows open for long periods if you can.

You also might use some of the money you are saving by not smoking to have the car detailed.  Ask ahead of time if they have an Ozone Generator.  It might be worth the $$$.  Or - you could ask what it would cost if you did all but that. 

You can get directions on changing the cabin filter by searching for that information for your particular car, and probably will be able to order the filter online, too.  While you may not notice the odor from the filter/ducts when you first get in, it will become apparent when you use heat or A/C.  I ALMOST bought a car that had that terrible smell had I not turned the A/C on to test it.  Blech - it was BAD!!!

It's a lot of work, but it will be SO nice to have that nice, clean car to further enjoy your new, smoke free life!