cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Tammy7596

Replacing a smoke with food

When I crave a smoke, I tend to eat instead. How can I change this habit?

9 Replies
Cousin-Itt

When ever possible stay active Which is impossible to do all the time, So on the down time Snack Healthy

I liked apples and frozen grapes others use veggies carrots, celery etc... drink plenty of water.  Chewing on a toothpick or straw may also help    Find something that works for you   Remember a little extra weight is way healthier than smoking and you can always lose the weight

Marz727

I drink hot tea. The warmth helps me. Good luck

YoungAtHeart

You might  keep a cold bottle of water handy from which to sip.  Helps to flush out the built-up toxins left by your smoking, too.

I  sprinkled in a frozen Hershey Kiss from time to time (and one with my coffee in the AM) .  You also might try some goodies that take awhile to eat, like the big hard pretzels, red licorice sticks, or Fireballs.

This need will calm down as you get further along!

Nancy

sweetplt

Keeping active and busy with hands, feet, etc., is better than supplementing with food...if you must use food at time make healthy and good choices...a few at Ex’s will laugh at my veggies...I loved carrot sticks would pretend I was smoking them...they worked for me...but hey everyone is different...Happy Wednesday....~ Colleen 464 DOF 

MartyO

I do the same thing....I have to trust when they say this will calm down.  I want to eat ALL OF THE TIME.  

Barbscloud

Veggies/fruit  are the best choice, but they didn't find that satisfied my craving.

PastTense

I, too, have turned into a snacking machine since quitting.  I tried sugarless gum.  Great big wads of it that I chewed until my jaw ached.  I tried cinnamon gum which made my gums blister.  I tried sugar-free Life Savers and other hard candies.

I have had the best luck with sugar-free cough drops.  Something about the menthol feels like a reasonable substiture for smoking.  I sucked on those until my stomach was upset.

COLD COLD water through a straw has helped me, too.  Now I go in cycles; a wad of gum followed by hard candy followed by some water followed by a cough drop followed by a wad of gum.

Whatever it takes

Keep the quit

PT

Keep the Quit
PT
maryfreecig

Habits tend to moderate along with weight. I tended to have a number of food choices each day that were OK--like apple and peanut butter (2Tblsp), pickles, radishes etc. But I really like all these things. I counted calories after 7 months so as to at the very least stay near my 2000 per day. I did not count so rigorously as to make myself miserable doing so. I aimed for moderation and usually allowed for at least one thing a day that I really loved.

elvan

I drank lots and lots of water and I ate Sour Patch Kids because they were so shocking that they changed my mind.  I couldn't eat too many because they made my tongue sore.  I also kept little bowls of frozen fruit next to the computer along with a spoon so my fingers did not get stained.

It will get easier, concentrate on not smoking, that's your priority now.

Ellen