cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

nelsomt

E-CIGS!

I'm very grateful they've started going, at least somewhat, into quitting e-cigs over traditional smoking. That's especially relevant to me, as I'm not going through this program to quit normal cigarettes, I'm here to stop vaping. I quit traditional cigarettes YEARS ago and it was, in my opinion, FAR easier than quitting vaping. With cigarettes there's more obvious negative facets; the smell (that permeates EVERYTHING), the taste (good and bad aspects here), and (for me at least) the acute health effects like sinus infections. All of these together allowed me to literally ball up a pack of smokes and toss them.

Vaping however, there are far fewer immediately negative things going on. The smell is GREAT, the taste is wonderful, and the only acute health effect you suffer from is likely going to be chest congestion. I've literally "quit" vaping a dozen times over the last 5 years, and it's awfully bloody difficult. Thankfully, the recent ban on flavored e-cig juice has helped to make vaping a little less fun. Still, it's far cheaper than smoking cigarettes, and the far-reaching health effects remain in question. The FACT that pushes me on to quit; I undeniably FEEL BETTER a week after I put e-cigs down. That and the obvious fact that if you're inhaling a foreign substance into your lungs, it's clearly NOT something that's going to "help" you. 

For the....5th time I think, I'm back to the patch. But I'm doing it right, starting at 21 mg first. Faith, perseverance, and the simple idea of "one day at a time" is the only way to beat nicotine. Praying for us all. 

- M

Tags (1)
6 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

Congratulations on your decision to quit vaping.  I personally have come to the conclusion that inhaling anything into our lungs that isn't good, old fashioned air is not a good idea.  Because it is available to you most anywhere, anytime, I believe vaping might be more difficult from which to break free than tobacco products - but it CAN be done!

Although primarily a smoking cessation site, I have seen a huge increase in the number of people coming for help to break free from vaping. Research suggests nicotine may be as addictive as heroin and cocaine. Here is a great article with information about the products: https://www.nbcnews.com/health/vaping/vaping-101-what-know-about-e-cigs-addiction-illnesses-n1054981... There is further information here: https://www.becomeanex.org/quitting-e-cigarettes and here; https://www.lung.org/stop-smoking/smoking-facts/impact-of-e-cigarettes-on-lung.html .

Nicotine addiction is nicotine addiction - no matter the delivery device - and how to beat any of them is about the same. Every time you read :"cigarette" in the information I will give you, just sub "Juul" or “vape,” or “device.”   The one thing different I would recommend is that you first start to reduce the nicotine content of the pods.  Start with a lesser amount in, like, one in every four, then three, etc. until you are only using the smallest amount, or reduce the amount of nicotine in the pods over time That way the physical withdrawal should be more manageable. You might find useful information, as well, here: https://truthinitiative.org/research-resources/quitting-smoking-vaping/quitting-e-cigarettes.

I recommend that you educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind To that end, I suggest Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” . Vaping was not a concern when this was written, so you will need to sub “vape”as necessary. This is an easy and entertaining read which can be found online or at your local library. If you do nothing else to get ready for your quit, please do give this a read. Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

The idea is to change up your routines so the vaping associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from where you vaped. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first puff with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to vape so the view is different. Take a different route when you are out and about so you aren't driving by your vaping supply shop. Take a quick walk at break time instead of vaping.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that vaping thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of vape if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want to vape" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

AnnetteMM

While you're reading up on everything, check out my quit story:  https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/people/AnnetteMM/blog/2019/09/08/how-to-quit-juul-or-vaping-in-ge... 

sweetplt

Hi and Welcome to Ex’s nelsomt 

Glad you made the decision to quit vaping.  In my opinion, everything other than oxygen in the lungs is harmful to us.   I suggest you read at My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX and interchange smoking with vaping...then I would do all the suggestions made by YoungAtHeart Nancy.  I will keep close to our support site.  You can do this, but it takes hard work and is not easy.  We are here for you and in this together.  Colleen 465 DOF 

NanKath

A Facebook friend of mine posted bout this site she found that was helping her quit vaping. I checked it out and joined! So important for her and a blessing for me!

202 DOF

Kathy

green1611

Nice decision. Vaping is intermediate step, so to say. Your final destination in this journey is to be nicotine free.

Good to come out of nicotine slavery, all the best !

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Welcome and congrats on your decision to quit.  As advised, educate yourself about nicotine addiction and create a quit plan.   I've had many failed attempts because I didn't educate myself or plan for the steps on this journey.  It really made the difference for a successful quit.  We're here for you, so reach out when you need support.

Barb

0 Kudos