cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

SisBB

Withdrawal: The Struggle is Real

I just finished 5 days of not smoking. I’m extremely emotional, irritable, and moody. I didn’t even go to work today thinking it might be good to take a mental health day lest I unintentionally offend someone, but then ended up doing 3 hours of work on my phone and became annoyed and even angry about that. I’m having a lot of feelings like I can’t do anything right. I was researching these symptoms and discovered that the withdrawal can take a month?!?!?

7 Replies
sweetplt

Hi and Welcome to Ex’s...SisBB 

I am happy you found our site and have made the decision to quit smoking.  In the beginning, the journey is not easy, but it is doable, especially with planning, knowledge and hard work.  Most of all, the support at this site.  I suggest you read at My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX to help you out.  Withdrawal is not easy, but you must work at it “moment to moment” and not look too much ahead.  Remember everyone is different with the time it takes to get through the mental withdrawal.  Just think, every time you had an issue in life, good or bad, you smoked through it, now you don’t know what to do with these feelings.  You must learn new techniques, however, in the beginning we mostly say, just hang in there and keep the quit...I suggest you look up “breathing exercises” and when you are feeling overwhelmed you stop and breath...maybe take a brisk walk outside, meditation, pray, etc., finding the thing that helps keep you calm.  This takes time and doesn’t happen overnight.  We are here for you, come here and we will help.  You are not alone...And a big Congratulations on 5 days quit...~ Colleen 464 DOF 

DavesTime

Colleensweetplt  gave you some great advice above.  Just remember, while the more extreme symptoms of withdrawal CAN last a month, for most people they lessen sooner. I know (from my own experience) that in the beginning the journey toward freedom may seem almost impossible, focus on what your goal is: health, more money, or whatever it may be for you.  You can do this.  Congratulations on five days!!!

Barbscloud

Read as much as you can on this site to educate yourself.  Know what many experience and how to cope with the different stages of this journey is very helpful.  Remember it's one day at a time and also saying to yourself  "I don't do that anymore"  works.

Nicotine withdrawal symptoms usually reach their peak 2 to 3 days after you quit, and are gone within 1 to 3 months. (1) It takes at least 3 months for your brain chemistry to return to normal after you quit smoking. (2) The last two symptoms to go usually are irritability and low energy.

Barb

Cousin-Itt

The first week is truly the toughest and you should notice things getting a little better the second week than the 3rd Quitting is truly a journey that's worth every Peak and Valley. Try to look at it this way.   A month of withdraw compared to how long you smoked is really no time at all.  You have some great advice above Stat strong Stay close You can do it

Carl

YoungAtHeart

Welcome to the community!

The first week is the pits - no doubt about it.  I might suggest you let your co-workers know you are quitting and ask for their forgiveness ahead of time for any snippiness for the next few weeks. It WILL get easier, but the first couple of weeks aren't fun - at all, at all!  I wish I had a magic pill for you to get past this, but there isn't such a thing.  Most of us went through it and survived; you will, too!

The important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This easy and entertaining read provided a world of good information about nicotine addiction, most of which I was not aware.  I credit it in large part with my success at quitting.   You can search for it online or at your local library.

You should also read the posts here and perhaps go to the pages of folks who you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com, quitsmoking.com and livewell.com for the good information contained there. @https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex has lots of blogs written by members of this site with their experiences and guidance. Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.  Keep the money you are saving in a special place so you can watch it accumulate and think of ways you might use it to treat yourself.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

maryfreecig

Welcome to Ex. Yah, the struggle is real. That is one reason Ex is here and will be here for you as much as you want it to. 

You chose to quit for a reason so keep pushing forward. Blog as often as you need to. 

One day at a time, you can get past the hard part and onto the good part.

Sincerely,

Mary 6years and 5.5months of freedom (over 52,000 cigarettes not smoked)

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/newbie-quitters/blog/2019/01/27/one-of-the-greatest-tools-... by Jackie

Dopamine - the Double Edged Blade by Thomas

What is the Single Best Thing You Can Do to Quit Smoking? - YouTube 

elvan

You have gotten great advice and support, please take it. We know that it is not easy, it wasn't easy for anyone at the beginning, at least no one I know.  It sure wasn't for me.  My withdrawal did not last a month but I cannot tell you how long it did last.  I remember reading that it would get better and wanting to scream, WHEN?  There is nothing you can do to speed it up but you CAN accept that it WILL get better and that you will get stronger with each passing day.  One feeling at a time.  

Welcome to EX,

Ellen