cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

jeremy5

How could I...

My daughter and wife have been on me to quit for quite some time now. I've tried (not really) to quit a couple times, but failed. On May 17th I received a phone call from my x-wife's husband Steve. (we all get along). He told me that my x-wife (Amy) passed away that morning in her sleep. My wife and I, in tears, went back to my daughter's room to somehow tell her about her mother. She began to cry, because I was crying and couldn't speak. She kept asking "what's wrong daddy, what's wrong?". I was sobbing hard and my mind was racing for the words to say to my sensitive and loving eleven year old. Not really knowing what to say other than the truth, I pulled her to the floor. After a moment I told her between sobs: "Kayla.....Your mom died this morning" She began to cry while holding me so tight. It was killing me inside seeing her in so much pain. To get to the point, the first words out of her mouth were "You HAVE to stop smoking daddy!". Of all the reactions or things she could have said, that was it. That's all it took. How could I not honor her wishes after that? So here I am on this site, in this forum, with others who have made such a hard choice to quit smoking. I'm a non-smoker now, and thanks to God and my wonderful daughter and wife, I'm looking forward to living a long, smoke free life that I will no longer take for granted.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
doreen1

Oh, Jeremy. My heart aches for you and your precious daughter. I can't even begin to imagine what it would be like to have to tell your sweet little one that "Mommy is gone". Thank you so much for sharing your story. May God shine down His love on you and your family. You've made an awesome decision to become healthier for your wife and daughter. This is a decision you won't regret. God Bless you all.

Photobucket Photobucket
0 Kudos
val_b

Im sorry about your lost, Im glad you desided to quit, I can honestly tell you I was afraid that my grown kids would be telling my mom who is 75 that I died, becasue I smoked almost 2 pks aday. Im so sorry that your daughter have to live through this type of sorrow. You however are on the right track, don't smoke, goto whyquit.com for more support, gets some quit buddies here and let your friends and family know. this is so worth it. congrats for making the decision to quit. give your wife and daughter a big hug.
0 Kudos
lynn5

Jeremy, How truly sad. I almost quit reading it because I was starting to cry (at work). I read on though and I'm glad that I did. You've shared a very sad but inspiring moment in your life and I want to say thank you. It is certainly humbling. When I feel whiney & cranky because I want to smoke I will stop and remember that things could be far worse. Much sorrow to you and your family and contratulations on your quit.
0 Kudos
doreen1

Just wanting to Photobucket some of these older stories back up to the top
0 Kudos
Giulia

I'm sorry I didn't see your post earlier.

It's truly amazing what it takes to get us to quit this horrible addiction. A whole bunch of love from an eleven year old. Thank God for her.

Glad you're here Jeremy. Whatever you need, you just let us know and we'll come runnin'.

Yes, it IS a hard choice to quit smoking. But we can all be shining examples to those we love who care about having us a around a long time. When the going gets tough, come back and read your own post for strength and courage.

You made a great choice - for your daughter, for your wife and for yourself.

Welcome.

Giulia (2 years 3 mos +)
0 Kudos

Hi Jeremy, I just read your story. I can only imagine how your daughter's comment pierced your soul. Out of the mouths of babes. I'm happy for you that you have become a non-smoker. I know you will remember your daughter's words. Congratulations
0 Kudos
fiveblessings

Thank you for sharing your story, Jeremy. I am sorry for your loss and your daughter's. Your quitting may be something good that rises up from the grief. Best wishes to you and yours.
0 Kudos
louise2

Wow! I'm so sorry for your loss. Out of the mouths of babes! YOU INSPIRED ME AND YOUR BEAUTIFUL LOVING DAUGHTER is inspiration to all. God Bless you and your family. Hang in and each day will get better.
0 Kudos