cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

DavesTime

For Those About to Quit and Those on the Journey

I came across this article from a woman who had about three months quit under her belt. (Actually, she reposted it on her five year quit anniversary.)  She discusses what she experienced as she went through her early-quit journey, and most of us will resonate with much of what she says.  Please read it to the end.

Just remember...finding freedom IS doable!

https://thriveglobal.com/stories/the-thing-they-never-tell-you-about-quitting-smoking/ 

16 Replies
YoungAtHeart

I was happy to read that the writer also found Allen Carr's "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking" helpful.  While I didn't ever find it easy, the information and advice contained therein was an important factor (along with the support here) in my success, I believe.

I may have missed it (it was a bit rambling) but I didn't get how long the writer had been quit.  I have been quit now for 7+ years, and only have passing thoughts about smoking and they are easy to dismiss.  Like a fragrance on a breeze, I can turn my head and they go past!

Thanks for sharing this!

Nancy

DavesTime

Nancy, IYoungAtHeart  think she wrote the original blog when she was three months quit. She reposted it when she had been quit for five years.

sweetplt

Thank you so much Dave for sharing this article /blog DavesTime I saw myself in so many things through Melissa’s journey...that being said, I wonder if I am not supportive enough for new quitters...and shouldn’t be here at Ex’s...my intent is to help, but never thought (infact, I stated this fact in someone’s post last week) quitting was easy...you gave me “food for thought”...thank you...and Have a wonderful weekend...~ Colleen 459 DOF 

DavesTime

Colleen sweetplt , you are one of the most supportive people for new quitters (and for all of us!).  Thanks for being you!

sweetplt

Thanks Dave...I was having a bad day...Thank you for your kindness...the article was a good reminder for me to remember where I came from on this journey and where I am going...Happy Saturday dear man...~ Colleen 

elvan

Thanks for sharing this, it really is a great blog.  I am glad you found it and posted it.

Ellen

Barbscloud

Thanks for posting this DavesTime .   Excellent description of the "real" journey.  Most quitters can associate with much of what she experienced.  I agree it's not easy and we shouldn't minimize what other's may be experiencing.   There have been new quitters posting that they don't understand why it's so hard for them when it sounds likes it's been easy for so many others.    I know it's been one of the hardest things I've ever done. 

Barb  

pmt

GOOD READ.  Thank you Dave for sharing it with us.

pmt

PRR-ex

Thanks.

"I am forgetful, clumsy disoriented and spacey. I had no idea that would happen."

^This!!

0 Kudos