cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Ohkayt

Day 5

So far my day has been good. I woke up and didnt think of a cigarette first thing. That's a huge step for me. Its becoming my new normal. This page is extremely helpful. Anytime I'm having a craving I just log in and type how I'm feeling. And today I'm not so much craving, but more so checking in. I am nervous about tonight because I'm going out for drinks with my coworkers. I might just pass on the drinking part since that is what ruined my first quit a couple years back. And I was much further along in my quit (10 months). That and this weekend I will be visiting my mom who smokes alot. I know she will be conscious about me quitting and ask me if she needs to go to the other room. But we will be filling out my wedding invites, so I dont want to put her out of her own home to smoke. So it might be a rough few days. I'm going in knowing it will be uncomfortable, but also knowing I'm strong enough not to break my streak. 

9 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Your first thought is your best one.  Drinking alcohol so early in your quit is a bad idea.  This site is littered with tales of quits lost to it.  Your quit needs to be your #1 priority right now.  Ask if the bar has mocktails.  You are not the only one who doesn't want alcohol but still wants to socialize.  Still when I go out (after seven years quit), I limit myself to one  - and drink water or gingerale the rest of the time.

At your Mom's, do ask that she smoke away from you.  It will probably reduce the number she smokes.  You might take her a present of some sugar free gum or mints to help her put one off!  If you are busy organizing and writing, she will also naturally reduce her smoking.  Put some Vicks under your nose, too.  The slight burn will remind you of your quit, and it will negate the smoke smell, too.  Have fun!
Nancy

MartyO

I drank wine (several glasses) and relapsed this past weekend.  Alcohol is very sneaky!  Please be CAREFUL!  

MarilynH

You can and will be successful one precious Smokefree Day at a time or hour minute or even a second at a time just keep moving forward stacking up those precious Days Of Freedom so each evening you can say YAY for another Day WON it's definetly not easy by any stretch of the imagination BUT boy oh boy it's so worth it to be Free, you've got this quit firmly in your grasp deep breaths and know that we're all here to help you in any way we can hang onto your positive attitude because it'll get through any rough patches that you may come upon......

sweetplt

I am so happy you are coming on and sharing your thoughts and feelings...we all had so many of the same in our quits.

If you must go out with your co workers order a tonic with a splash of cranberry and a lime ... that way you will feel like you are having a cocktail, but a drink without the alcohol.  Early in my quit...about a couple months into it...I had a glass of wine with a group...but I planned it all out...and the rest of my quit for about 6 months I skipped the alcohol...I lost two long quits from drinking and this one is my forever...as far as your mom goes...I think you should let her go outside or in garage, etc., to smoke...you donot need the temptation and it may have mother smoking less...you my dear will be leading by example...anyways, the big thing in the beginning is protecting you and your quit...Gotcha in my Thoughts ~ Colleen 458 DOF 

alissastump

Congrats on Day 5 and also congrats on an upcoming wedding!  It's great to hear you are doing so well so early on. I hope you have tonight and this weekend all planned out and plenty of tools in your quit box with you during those difficult/triggering times.  you can do it if you are prepared!

Ohkayt

Well I decided to not drink tonight. Just had a dr pepper with my meal, which is a treat in itself because I dont typically drink soda. Everyone there knows I quit smoking. So everyone understood. Tonight was the first dinner where I ate and sat and enjoyed the conversation and company without worrying about smoking. I didnt have to excuse myself and come back smelling like a cigarette covered in perfume. It feels pretty good! 

Kdot1st

Wish there was a love button instead of just a like button cuz I love this. But now I'm craving a Dr. Pepper. 

YoungAtHeart

Good decision!!!

elvan

GOOD FOR YOU, great decision not to drink and great job preparing yourself for this weekend.

Ellen

0 Kudos