cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

RevTerrie

My dog is the best!

I still have times when I think I have to smoke a cigarette, but I'm not. I get so frustrated and stressed when I think about not having what I need to start the best job I've ever been offered, aside from working for God for almost 17 years. Last night I started to cry. My dog Zonie helps me in every way possible. She hangs right there with me through everything. She snuggles up to me and lays her head on me and I couldn't love her any more. If it wouldn't be so cold out, we could go for a walk. That's what I do with her when it's not raining or cold.  I play with her in here and put music on and get her to dance. She gets all excited. I don't know what I'd do without her. She's a sweetheart. My digestive disease has been acting up from the stress and she acts like my body guard. I'm not allowed to go to the bathroom alone. She thinks that she has to go along with me which is funny. She sits in there and just looks at me. At night when she lays with me, as soon as I start to talk to her she smiles. Her eyes and mouth are closed, but the sides of her mouth curl up like she's so happy. Pit bulls are known for that. I'm blessed to have Zonie because I'm really disappointed right now.

9 Replies
Barbscloud

Sorry things didn't work out with the job.  Don't give up.  I totally get how you feel about your dog.  Charlie is my best buddy and is always there for me.   They can provide such comfort and love.  Don't know what I do with out him.  I'm so glad you have Zonie in your life and I'm sure he feels the same about you.   Better days to come.

Barb

Maki

Zonie , cool name . I'm so glad she's there for you Terrie. They make a difference . 

RevTerrie

I rescued her from a woman who was using her as a one dog puppy machine. Her name is Arizona, but she was always called Zonie. I'm so glad because I can't imagine naming a dog Arizona, or why someone would. Zonie always sounded cute to me. I had another dog, a black pit bull, named Zoe who had to be put to sleep last year on May 14th. She was ten and started having trouble taking deep breaths and her belly was swollen. She was the child I never had. When I called her vet, she told me to bring her in the next day. Zoe and I were together for so long and had a bond like I had actually given birth to her so when something was wrong with her I always knew. This time, I knew it was bad and when I took her to the doctor she wasn't coming home with me. I just knew. The night before I laid down with her and played "All I Ask" by Adele and "To Make You Feel My Love" by Garth Brooks over and over and cried. The Garth Brooks song was sort of her song because I would sing it to her all the time. I had done that for years. The Adele song is a killer....it even says in the song, if this is my last night with you. Then the next day came and we were there at the vet and she gave her an x-ray of her belly. Zoe had a cancerous tumor on her spleen and it was big enough that it was pushing up on her lungs causing her not to be able to breathe deeply. Due to her age, surgery wasn't an option as she most likely wouldn't make it and my only question was...is she in pain? The doctor said that she was and it would only get worse until the tumor ruptured and she would bleed to death. That made my decision for me. I laid down on the floor with her while they gave her a sedative, crying my eyes out and Zoe was licking my face like she was trying to comfort ME. I laid there with my arms around her while they put her to sleep and I stayed there with my head on her and my arms around her for an hour crying... saying her name and.... my baby, my baby. The hardest thing was for me to get up and walk out of there with her laying on the floor. The grief was horrible and I didn't stop crying for a month. I had so many seizures in my sleep that I had to see my neurologist. He told me in his office that he wanted to see me again in a month and he wanted me to have another dog by the time I came back. He knew that I had enough love to give another dog without replacing Zoe. He didn't want anything to happen to me through grieving so much and he knew it would help. I found Zonie not long after that and when I saw the condition she was in and how this woman was treating her I knew that I had to take her. She followed me wherever I went as soon as she was here and I had medicine here to treat her skin since Zoe would get a spot every now and then so I started treating the rash she had and dipped her for fleas and took her to the vet because she wasn't up to date on her shots and her back ribs were showing. My vet took her name and the town she lived in because she was having the dog law officers track her down to press charges on her for abuse and neglect and to see if she had other dogs in the same condition. Now, Zonie is super happy and healthy and so spoiled rotten. She's at the weight she should be and her skin is perfect and she sleeps with me and has her own pillow and sleeps on her back like a person. I fell in love with her just like my doctor thought I would and I still miss Zoe, but I don't cry anymore except once in a while if I see something that reminds me of her because as much as Zoe loved me she would want me to be as happy as possible. So I guess Zonie and I saved each other. She'll always be spoiled and now I feel like I have another kid.

SuzyQ411

Your introduction of Zonie and the sharing of Zoe's last days and the love you shared ( and still do!) touched me on so many levels. I shed tears as I strained to read your story. I'm so happy you, Zoe, and now Zonie have each other (I've never found it in the Bible per se, but my heart tells me that Zoe is in the loving arms of your Savior and awaits her reunion with you.) Just like I look forward to again being with my beloved pups Trixie, Levi and Ginger PLUS I am sure they are with my deceased husband in Paradise~

Zonie is so blessed by your saving her from that "puppy farm" and I pray the authorities will bring charges against the person(s) accountable.

I now have a cat named Mr. Flurry and he also helps me keep my quit by showing his love in ways only a cat can do. He also brings me comfort when things aren't going the way I'd like them to.

I wish you well as you continue your journey to remain cigarette-free and wait upon the Lord for the job he has hand-picked for you! 

sweetplt

Dogs are definitely our family...so happy you have Zonie...When God closes a window, he usually opens a door...Gotcha in my prayers...~ Colleen 457 DOF 

Strudel

Love the pics! Pets are so very important to us! It is very clear how much you love your dog! 

elvan

How sweet that she is there for you.  Things will work out whatever way they are supposed to, there are some things we cannot control.

Ellen

SuzyQ411

Over my approximate 55 years as a Christian, I am slowly beginning to understand the truth about God closings doors when a situation or experience is not in our best interests, even when it's something we want with our whole heart. Without going into a deep and prolonged testimony, I now sit at almost 77 years of age, and look back at times when He did close doors that I desperately wanted to be open. On the look-back I can now see how wise and caring He was. Hang onto your faith and ask that God's will be done in your life. He will bring that great job to you in His way and in His time. Hang onto your faith.

alissastump

Amen SuzyQ411‌!  It truly is miraculous how he knows our needs better than we know them ourselves.  RevTerrie‌,  I'm sure he has something amazing in the works for you.  Just be patient as you sit back and watch and wait for His timing. 

Your dog is absolutely gorgeous!