cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

sdc423

When do cravings go away?

Hi, I know this is different for everyone but I’m wondering when they solidly go away. I’m 17 days in from quitting vaping, & I know I’m done, but I’m still craving & it’s annoying. After 30 days should I expect a big difference? Thanks, Stacy

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Strudel

Congrats on your quit! Your words - “I know I’m done” - say so much! Those are the important words on the way to no cravings.... Actually believing that was vital for me to be able to move past any craves. Sometimes we can confuse craves with thoughts of smoking though....and those can go on for a while. I had to remind myself that after 40 years of smoking, it was going to take a while for my brain to be reprogrammed and for those thoughts to go away. But, they did go away! In the meantime, some of the reading tells us to think of those thoughts as clouds drifting by - watch them as they just move on by - because they will indeed move on. 
You are doing great - again congrats to you! 

0 Kudos
sweetplt

Congratulations on 17 days of Freedom...Everyone is different with craves, triggers, urges, etc., I had to tell myself often that I fed my body so many chemicals for many years and it took time to heal...also, we almost have to go through many “firsts” (first weekend, first holiday, first stressful event, etc.,)  and create new memories without smoke, vape, ecigs, etc. If it helps I am at 457 days of Freedom and I rarely have a crave...hang in there ... it gets better, but not in 17 days...keep close to our support site for help...~ Colleen 

0 Kudos
elvan

It DOES get better but no one can tell you exactly when.  This is a one day at a time journey and there are no shortcuts.  The craves will get weaker and farther apart as you keep going in the right direction.  We are here for you, come and vent any time and know that someone else is either exactly where you are or they have just come from there OR they are getting there.  That's how this works, we support each other.  

Ellen

Barbscloud

It's common for new quitters asking when this will end, but it does take time.  The psychological withdrawal can last longer.  The data indicates 1 - 3 months.  So, be patient with yourself.  It will happen.

Barb

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

Congratulations on your decision to quit vaping, and 17 days of success.  That is HUGE!  I notice this is your first post, so I will give you a portion of my usual welcome which includes sources of  information and some tips to help you.  The better you understand what nicotine has done to your physical and mental being, the easier it will be for you to move forward away from it, and the quicker the cravings for it will fade. 

Although primarily a smoking cessation site, I have seen a huge increase in the number of people coming for help to break free from vaping. Research suggests nicotine may be as addictive as heroin and cocaine.

Nicotine addiction is nicotine addiction - no matter the delivery device - and how to beat any of them is about the same. Every time you read :"cigarette" in the information I will give you, just sub "Juul" or “vape,” or “device.”    You might find useful information here: https://truthinitiative.org/research-resources/quitting-smoking-vaping/quitting-e-cigarettes.

I recommend that you educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind To that end, I suggest Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” . Vaping was not a concern when this was written, so you will need to sub “vape”as necessary. This is an easy and entertaining read which can be found online or at your local library. If you do nothing else to get ready for your quit, please do give this a read. Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

The idea is to change up your routines so the vaping associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from where you vaped. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first puff with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to vape so the view is different. Take a different route when you are out and about so you aren't driving by your vaping supply shop. Take a quick walk at break time instead of vaping.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that vaping thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of vape if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want to vape" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

0 Kudos