cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Maki

Your pets smoking ?

4 Replies
sweetplt

So true...about 10 years ago I spoke to a women at a pet store and her dog was making a strange noise with it’s throat...I thought it must have pulled on it’s leash and did something to its throat.  She and I got talking and I asked her and she said she lost her husband to lung cancer from smoking a year prior and the talk always sat next to the man when he smoked, hence the dog had something wrong with it from getting all that 2nd hand smoke...it was so sad...I am happy I never smoked around my pets...

Maki

My sons dog ( small breed ) had tracheal collapse . ( Born with ) He lived pretty good with it , but his struggles were harder as he got older . He lived to 13 .  It sounds like croup . Smoking is not good for dogs with this disease . As well when walked they should always use a harness to protect their throats when pulling . Tracheal collapse can be acquired later or born with ... It is most common in small breed dogs . You will find pets that have this gag when drinking water too fast or eating too quickly , they will gasp for air , have anxiety of course  ( who wouldnt if you can't breathe ) and may also be excersise intolerant . Tracheal collapse may be associated with other diseases as well such as heart disease , cushings . 

Mward90

One of the 2 MAIN reasons I stopped smoking was Delilah started making a wheezy noise and I was so scared that my second hand smoke had cause it.  We went to the vet and luckily the vet said her lungs sounded good.  So all turned out well and what great motivation I have to keep my quit!

Barbscloud

I've been very fortunate that my dogs and cats have had long lives.   I've had 3 labs that lived from 13 -15, which is great for a big dog.  I've had three cats that lived into their 20's.  Don't know what all this means.  I guess I've been lucky?