cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

Kdot1st

Nausea?

Woke up very nauseated. Could that be the patch or maybe I've got a bug? 

I woke up at 4:45 & stayed awake until about 7.

I was having strong urges. It was still an hour & ½ until 24 hours was up but I thought maybe the effect had waned so I went ahead & put on a new patch at like 6:15 but i didn't take off the old one. Woke up again at 11:30 & soon as I raised my head I thought I was going to hurl. 

Soooo, maybe that was a mistake. But I didn't smoke. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
YoungAtHeart

I found this on doing a 'net search:  "Nicotine patches come in three different doses. Dosage should be chosen based on how much you currently smoke. Check package instructions regarding appropriate dosing or ask your health care provider about what dose is appropriate for you. If you experience dizziness, rapid heartbeat or nausea, this may mean you are getting too much nicotine and you may need to reduce the nicotine patch dose." at  Trying to Quit Smoking? Here’s What You Should Know about the Nicotine Patch - Dialogue Blog - Unive... 

A lot of folks had to leave the patch off at night and start with a fresh one each morning, but you have to get busy while the nicotine builds up in your system from the fresh one.  Using two was probably not a good idea.....

Barbscloud

If I understand, you had two patches on?  If so, that could be too much nicotine.  Many people don't wear them at night because they cause vivid dreams.  Not a set back, keep moving forward!

Barb

Maki

If you never smoked at night after you went to sleep , then I would wait til morning to put the patch on . 

I agree if you had two patches on , the delivery of that much nicotine may have made you nauseated . 

You are doing great . Good job posting . 

0 Kudos
Kdot1st

Yeah that was my 1st thought too. Especially because I had no more nausea after I removed yesterday's. It might've lost some of it's stuff but obviously had enough left to be too much. 

The box said if you smoke 1st thing in the morning you should wear it all the time. This I did do. 

Ok, I have strange sleeping habits. I can't sleep more than 3 or 4 hours before my bladder wakes me up. Most times I can't get back to sleep right away. So I smoked 1, 2 & sometimes 3, depending on how long it was before I could go back to sleep.

So, yeah, I guess you'd say I do need ONE 24 hours. 

I'll make sure I take off the old one before I put on the new one next time. 

Yay! 4 days

Acciosanity

Insomniacs unite! I did the majority of my smoking throughout the night too, and it seems we have much in common. Congrats on 4 days!