cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Ohkayt

Day 1

Last night I stayed up until 2am anxious to go to sleep knowing today I was starting my journey. I started to get a headache so decided it was time. I smoked my last cigarette and tried to take it all in, the smell, the taste.. as gross as it is. I slapped a patch on and tried to fall asleep. Needless to say I didnt sleep very well. I woke up this morning and had no clue what to do with myself. I've read tons of information on ex. So I know what I need to do. But I couldn't help feeling lost. I slept in as long as my dog would let me. I made coffee, and where I would normally smoke I showered instead. I brushed my teeth longer than ever before trying to get the taste out of my mouth. Put myself together. Now I'm sitting drinking coffee wishing I could smoke. But I wont. I'm not allowing cigarettes dictate my life anymore. My fiance is about to head out back to the academy. I've got the house to clean (music blaring of course). Then I plan on doing a workout. Cleaning my car (unfortunately in the snow). Then grocery shopping and meal prepping for the week. I've quit once before so I know I can do this. But the last time I quit I wasn't clean. So this time will be a little harder because I don't have anything to smoke when I have the urge. Healthy life starts here though. I've quit worse. So I've got this! Thank you all for your kind words on my last post. And in advance for the support you give in the future. It helps knowing I have an army behind me, who have all done this too.  

Tags (1)
10 Replies
sweetplt

Hi Ohkayt and Welcome to Ex’s and Day 1...I hope you did the reading recommended on your last post.  Also, you sound like you have a plan for Day 1...in order to make it Day Won...I commend you...somethings that helped me, I started a jigsaw puzzle, I drank lots of bottled water, I took walks and prayed and rested often...You can do this...keep close to us...~ Colleen 454 DOF

Ohkayt

Thank you Colleen. I did a ton of reading on this site before quit day. I have been keeping myself busy and the cravings aren't so bad today. But I know they will worsen eventually. I have my day fully packed of things to do. I think the hardest time is right after eating for me, which I'm about to do. I appreciate your support! My house is cleaned fully and I have candles burning and my defusers on. So it smells great in here. The snow has stopped so after lunch it's time to get my car cleaned up so it doesnt stink nor will there be all of the empty reminders on my car floor (empty packs). I've already thrown out all ashtrays so there are no temptations near me.

zoer

Ohkayt‌ I'm on day 33 and never thought I'd get this far. after eating was one of the worst times for me too. what I found that helped was to not eat til your full, instead eat just enough that you are not hungry. And healthier foods don't trigger as much as junk and high carbs food. The craving I had after eating this way was very small in comparison to eating til I was full. You will need to eat more often, but I hear eating 6 small meals a day is a good way to maintain your weight also (or even lose weight as long as you eat healthy). I hope this helps. Keep on one day at a time, it WILL get easier but it does take a while. If you can post about other triggers for you, post them on Ex and someone might be able to suggest a specific thing to try. YOU CAN DO THIS. 

Zoe

YoungAtHeart

After you eat, you might get right up and start the clean-up, or get yourself a special treat, like maybe a frozen Hershey Kiss?  When the weather improves, a quick walk will also do the trick.

Congratulations on (almost) Day WON!

Ohkayt

Thought eating was my biggest trigger until I drove. Man it was hard not to take myself to the gas station and buy smokes. Glad I stuck to my guns. 

0 Kudos
Ohkayt

Its official. I succeeded in day WON! Goodnight everyone thank you for all of your support. Now let's hope I can actually sleep tonight since I work tomorrow. 

YoungAtHeart

Do still take your regular work breaks, but go for a quick walk around the floor, or building, or block where the smokers aren't.  Take some slow, deep breaths as you walk, arms a-swinging.  It will get rid of stress build up and get you ready to take on the fight again!

You CAN do this!  One hour at a time!

Nancy

Barbscloud

Congrats on your first day smoke free and sticking to your commitment to quit.   If you've done the reading,so you know what to do.  Did you identify some tools like chewing on straws, sour candy, short walks, etc.?   You got this, so check in anytime you need some encouragement.  Telling yourself "I don't do that anymore" really helped me.

Many people don't do well with the patch on over night.  It can cause vivid dreams.  See how it works for you. 

Barb 

0 Kudos
Ohkayt

Really keeping busy is the most helpful tool for me so far. When I'm sitting relaxing I tend to crave it more. I've been using chewing gum to keep my mouth busy. But yes I just keep telling myself I dont smoke anymore. I wont do it! 

0 Kudos