cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

SuzyQ411

Is Anyone Else Using the Patch Having Dizziness?

Jump to solution

A number of times over the past month or so, I have experienced severe dizziness when getting out of bed. I have found that lying back down for a short while- and maybe even going back to sleep for a bit- has relieved the dizziness. 

What I'm doing to help combat this:

(1) I read up on possible side effects from using the patch-- dizziness is one of them.

(2) Making sure I sit on the side of the bed for a bit before slowly standing as I know that for some, blood pressure drops can occur when going to a standing position, which can lead to dizziness.

(3) Just last night, I decided to start taking my patch off at bedtime as suggested by others on the Ex regarding dream disturbances attributed to the patch. (It had been suggested this practice could help relieve patch-induced dream issues and thought it might also help with the dizziness.) 

(4) I am keeping tabs on the problem and will seek my primary physician's input should it persist. (This dizziness does not occur during the day; just when I wake up in the morning).

Just wondering if I am alone in this?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Barbscloud

Some BP medications can cause dizziness.   They recommend to take mine at night for that reason.

Barb

View solution in original post

4 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Didn't use the patch - but didn't want your post to go unanswered!  I know that I took medication for high blood pressure while I was still smoking and, after I had been quit a bit, I got dizzy upon standing  When I quit, my BP naturally lowered and it was actually too low upon standing.  Got off the BP medication (after checking with my doctor) and that took care of it.  Has your BP been checked since you quit? Might be a good idea.

Do take it easy about standing.  When this was going on I got up too fast, got dizzy, fell and broke my first (of many!) bone..  So - be careful while you figure it out!

SuzyQ411

Thanks so much for your input YoungAtHeart ‌~ am so sorry you've had falls w/fractures and appreciate your concern!! (We women of a certain age tend to fear hip fractures; I'm one of them!)

Yes, I am on BP medication and because of coronary and vascular issues am seen medically each 3 months. My BP has remained pretty constant in the medium-high range while using the patch.

My next cardiology appointment is 3/19 but should I not have it resolved before then, I'll go to the walk-in clinic!!!

Barbscloud

Some BP medications can cause dizziness.   They recommend to take mine at night for that reason.

Barb

SuzyQ411

Me too Barb-at bedtime as Dr. ordered. I'm three days into my little "experiment" and so far no episodes of morning dizziness. Still taking patch off at bedtime. Still getting out of bed real slowly. My cardiology PA is great at taking my BP in lying position, then in sitting position and last in standing position. My postural changes are not causing any low readings. However, I will NOT mess around should the dizziness recur- I will seek medical attention for sure! So appreciate your input 🙂