cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Cousin-Itt

A Little Fish Story

That time of year the smell of fish is in the air. Which brings me to probably the most well known fish sandwich in the USA The McDonalds Filet-o-Fish
  Did you know the Filet-O-Fish originated in Cincinnati in 1962. Here's the story Mr. Lou Groen purchased the first      McDonalds Franchise here in Cincinnati. His business had a great following everyday except on Fridays. You see Mr. Groen opened his McDonalds in a area that was predominantly Catholic, 87% Catholic to be exact and they did not eat meat on Fridays. Mr. Groen approached the owner of McDonalds Ray Kroc with his fish sandwich idea. Mr. Kroc had a hard time accepting the idea of fish in his restaurant because of the smell plus Mr. Kroc had a different idea for a meatless sandwich called a Hula Burger (grilled pineapple, slice of cheese on a bun) That led to a bet between the 2 man. Mr. Kroc came to Cincinnati with his Hula Burger one Friday during lent to have a competition against Mr. Groen and his fish Sandwich and who ever sandwich sold the most would become a mainstay on McDonalds menu. Rumors have it Mr. Groen Fish Sandwich out sold the Hula Burger 350 to 6 on that Friday.
Other interesting facts the first Filet O Fish was Halibut and sold for 50 cents Mr. Kroc wanted the sandwich to be cheaper and changed to a cheaper fish so the sandwich could sell for 25 cents. By 1965 the fish sandwich was served at all McDonalds Nationally. Yes that McDonalds was opened up on North Bend in Monfort Heights a suburb of Cincinnati and to this day a McDonalds has always been on that location. Yes I have eaten in that McDonalds every year since it has opened.   As of today it is a mile from me.

1976 advertisement 

fish.jpg

13 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Is this a fish tale?

Sounds a bit fishy to me!

Cousin-Itt

True story at  YoungAtHeart‌    

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

hahahahahahahaha!

0 Kudos
SuzyQ411

Again with the humor, Nancy..just love it,,,:-)

0 Kudos
indingrl

WOW you BEEN eating McDonald's since 1962 - that is amazing - no health side effects - WOW

Cousin-Itt

LOL  Not yet     I've  smoked for almost 30 years and have several bad health side effects 

I've eaten at McDonalds for almost 60 years with no health side effects I guess  it means McDonalds is Healthy 

0 Kudos

Great "I didn't know" history lesson.  Fond memories as a "youngin" for Lent observed with meatless Fridays at home.  It actually was a good time for me & my siblings because we mainly got fish sticks et al which was a treat for us.  Plus … all that sacrifice (lol) meant candy (I mean Easter) was coming!  Enjoy your day (hopefully with BB)!

elvan

Great story. The pineapple sandwich does not sound the least bit palatable.

Ellen

SuzyQ411

Agree, Ellen, but add a slice of  ham and I'd be willing to try it ('course that would eliminate it as a Lenten special).

0 Kudos