cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

daverson828

Driving

Any suggestions particular to driving? I learned to drive at the same time I learned to smoke (though I mastered the latter much faster) and I'm realizing on day 2 how closely they're associated. It was below freezing this morning and I kept telling myself how wonderful it was to have the windows closed all the way to work -- which is true! Any suggestions or thoughts on breaking this association would be very welcome.

30 Replies
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

daverson828‌ Did you search driving?

Don't forget there is a wealth of information already here on the site.  It's like a library!

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
daverson828

Oops, didn't know you could do that! Great stuff there. 

Giulia

Put on the music LOUD and tap on the steering wheel (though not at 70 mph).  Nibble on a straw.  Count the number of red cars.  Or how many cows you pass or cemeteries, people picking their noses.....  

elvan

Driving was a hard one to break but I always kept a water bottle next to me with a straw in it, I cranked the radio up as high as I could stand and I sang along and it felt wonderful.

Roj

Chew a cigarette length straw...heck puff on it, the action of doing that will help a lot. When I first quit I went to the dollar store and bought a bag of 100 and cut them and put them in a bowl for easy grabbing.....after the 1st 10 days I no longer used them...you can do this!!!!

MarilynH

Welcome to the community I really can't add anything to the great suggestions above, it's going to take time to relearn life without the crutch of cigarettes BUT it's absolutely Doable and totally worth it to be Free. daverson828

Barbara145

My worst time was getting off of work.  I kept suckers in the car for a little while.  Congrats on day 2.  You are doing this.

DeniseL920

I just felt exactly the same way on my way to work.  Lots of deep breathing.  I actually forgot for a moment that I quit smoking and went to reach for one.  It’s really crazy the tricks the mind plays.