cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Troutnut1

Whooping Cough

Mrs. Troutnut and I were recently exposed to and acquired pertussis (aka Whooping Cough). This is one of the least things smokers, or former smokers want. Lasting 12 weeks, it starts with 7-10 days of incubation, then 6 weeks of severe coughing (sometimes hard enough to break ribs, cause hernias, cause vomiting, or even passing out), and then a recovery phase where it slowly gets better. For people like me with emphysema from past smoking, this can be really bad.

Luckily, I had Tdap vaccinations in 2012 and 2017 and they are supposed to last 10 years. So I have a milder version. Mrs. Troutnut had a Tdap vacinne in 2012 and so still has some protection, but it is pretty bad for her. This bacterial infection was almost wiped out, but it is making a big comeback because people have gotten lazy about getting the booster shots (tdap) at least every 10 years. And, more and more people are not having their children vaccinated which causes outbreaks in schools and communities. The vaccine is know to “wane”, or get less effective, with each year so I would think one would want one nowadays more often than once every ten years. This is an easy and cheap procedure at many pharmacies or doctors offices. A few minutes getting this taken care of could save you 12 weeks (3 months!) of horrible coughing.

Mrs. Troutnut and I were also lucky that we got to a clinic in the first few days and got powerful antibiotics right away. This bacteria is highly contagious until after treatment is completed (usually 5 days of antibiotics) or getting a negative test result. Most people wait until they have been coughing for weeks, and by three weeks antibiotics are no longer effective. If you acquire a cough, especially with a fever, and flu or cold like symptoms, ask you doctor to consider pertussis. There is a simple nose swab test that can be done. 

If you don’t have it, you don’t want it. Get a tdap booster at your first chance.

Your friend in Montana

Troutnut1-dennis 

19 Replies
Cousin-Itt

Thank you for the info Troutnut1  I do hope Mrs. Troutnut doesn't suffer to much and you both recover quickly. 

Carl

Giulia

Thank you so much for this post.  May you both get better very soon!

Barbscloud

Hope you both are feeling better. That sounds awful.  I know they advertise if you're a caregiver and those around young infants.you should have the vaccination.  Do you know how you contracted it?   

Thanks for the info.  When I see my doc next time, I'll ask about it.

sweetplt

Mr Troutnut1 I am so sorry that you and Mrs. Troutnut1 have Whooping cough...very bad thing ... please rest and lots of fluids...be sure to use a small pillow on your ribs and hold tight when you cough, it helps to avoid broken ribs and pleurisy...I am so disgusted with people refusing to vaccinate their kids...please take care of you both and sending out healing vibes your way.  Keep us posted...~ Colleen 451 DOF 

marciem

don't even get me started on the antivaxxer movement which I believe it is all political, or naivete .  

(long-ish rant deleted  , this isn't a political forum)

Great tip on using a small pillow!  

0 Kudos
marciem

I had to ask for the booster this year, and did so because of my COPD .   I don't need anything attacking my lungs.  I was surprised I had to ask for it, that it wasn't suggested/insisted upon by my pulmonologist, they're so up on it about flu and pneumonia vaccines.  More and more we have to be our own advocates for health care.

YoungAtHeart

I had no idea a booster was even available, and also wonder why it isn't being pushed like the others..............

Thank you for the warning!!

Nancy

Sootie

I was wondering the same....my doctor has never mentioned this at all. Going to ask next time I go.