cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

1gandma

Help: I need help with...

Stopping I failed my self already I’ve slowed down but life stress ended up being very icky an I failed. 

I ready to want need too for these reasons want to get healthier, my kids nag me about it, want more money , an bout to be a grandma 

Tags (2)
13 Replies
sweetplt

Hi and Welcome to Ex’s 1gandma 

Glad you found our site...may I suggest you read at My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX where you will plan your quit date and actively make your quit your own.  There you will plan for that quit date like no other.  Also, read here, the blogs.  Unfortunately, you cannot quit for your kids...it is your Quit and your’s alone.  No matter what life hands us we must find healthy ways to get through them with out smoking.  Actually, much of this journey is finding healthy things to do other than smoke. /blogs/Maggie_quit_8-1-2010-blog/2012/03/19/100-things-to-do-instead-of-smoking?sr=search&searchId=a... You need to keep busy, drink lots of water and when your body needs it, rest.  Educating yourself on addiction will help greatly.  This journey takes hard work, but is so doable. You can do it...I apologize that you waited so long for an answer to your blog, I was dealing with some life issues.  I am here for you...now get working...a step at a time...~ Colleen 442 DOF 

JACKIE1-25-15

Welcome to EX,  you have come to the right place for support. Education is the key to successfully quit. Read, Study, Blog and be willing to do the work.  With the help of the to EX Community you can have a forever quit.  Start by educating yourself about the addiction to nicotine. Know the LAW!  If you Go to My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX and review the videos and learn more about what your triggers and how to prepare when the urge hits.  I was advised to read Allen Carr's Easyway to Quit Smoking which can be found on pdf on the web.  Another good site to get info that was very helpful to me is  www.whyquit.com.  There are several articles to read.  Nicotine 101 and Freedom From Nicotine My Journey Home.  To get help on navigating the site go to. Community Help‌  I believe you can quit smoking if you make quitting smoking your number one priority.

MarilynH

I'm just seeing your post 1gandma, welcome to the community how are you doing this morning?  You've got great advice above me please read everything you can because there's a wealth of information right here on this site to strengthen your resolve to kick the nicotine poison to the curb permanently it's not easy by any stretch of the imagination in those early days and weeks of quitting smoking BUT boy oh boy it's so worth it to be Free and we're all here to help you in any way we can you can do this quit believe it.......

Cousin-Itt

Hi and Welcome 1gandma

I really can't add much more to what has been said

Being a grandparent is awesome congratulations

I would like to share a feeling I experienced only 5 days ago

I was holding my 9 week old grandson Baby Buck (what I call him) and giving him is bottle and realized he is the first grandchild that won't see grandpa smoke or smell nasty from smoking and a sense of pride came over me. It felt good knowing I don't smoke. I also realized if I continued to smoke I would have never been able to experience last night. Best thing I ever did was to quit destroying my body.

Now I can also tell you a new baby smells so good and beats the smell of a cigarette anytime. Even when a baby don't smell so good.  

I wish you the best and have faith You'll be OK

Carl

Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex and congrats in your desire to quit.   That's the first step.  Read what's been suggested, educate yourself about nicotine addiction and create a quit plan.  Knowledge and preparation made all the difference for me this time.  Pick a date and make the commitment.  You can do it and we're here to support you on your journey.

Barb

indingrl

Welcome - thanks for SHARING and please keep blogging everday - YOUR a non smoker if YOU choose to be just for YOU - EDUCATION is SUGGESTED reading all that is here from the EX team here and the blogs from EVERYONE SHARING their experince strength and HOPE - HearingOtherPeoplesExperiences- H.O.P.E. - learning to say out loud - NotOnePuffEver - N.O.PE. - TOGETHER WE STAY NON SMOKERS please take what HELPS and let go of the rest to be HELPFUL is MY only aim - thank you  

Barbara145

You can do this.  Stick close to this site.

elvan

Welcome to EX, many of us had to start over more than once.  This is an addiction and the journey to freedom is one day at a time.  Staying close to this site and reading and commenting help more than you can imagine.  I smoked for 47 years and I have now been quit for over six, I owe that to this site and the support and encouragement I got from here.  It's available to you as well

Ellen

maryfreecig

How does anyone quit? There are a lot of former smokers--lots here at Ex. If you are willing to stick around--read, learn, blog some more, respond to Exers who have responded to you, and make a daily effort to make a quit plan (something that makes sense to you)--you stand a great chance at quitting.

Most smokers that I know of wanted their quit to happen fast, all at once. Many were unwilling or unable to think about what they will do other than smoke. A list works. Keep it near, refer to it. 

And many smokers who want to quit, don't want to look at how they might feel the first few days and so run into trouble. It's better to accept that you might feel uncomfortable --come up with a few ideas as to how to get through the first few days.

I could tell you to chew on a straw, or take a walk, or read a book--or whatever--but you probably know this stuff. What really matters is what are you willing to do other than smoke. Ex is here to offer support every step of the way.

Are you willing to commit to receiving help. It's your quit.  It's your decision and yours alone. Exers here are good at listening, good at responding, great at caring. 

You can find your quit one day at a time, one step at a time.