cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

minihorses

Update 2/23: Prayer Warriors Desperately Needed

I know this is off the smoking topic but I don't use social media account, nor will I.  Some of you may know that I have an adult son w/ high-functioning (Asperger's Syndrome) autism. After years on the waiting list for aid he finally was given the services he needed. After several unreliable social workers, he has FINALLY found a person who truly cares. She's fantastic, strong and caring in every sense.

I found out a few weeks back that her daughter has a condition known as Lennox-Gastaut syndrome. It is the worst type of epilepsy running the gambit as far as having every type of seizure there is. She's a single mom so it's very hard for her .Here's a brief summary of this disease found on the NIH database.

"Lennox-Gastaut syndrome is a severe condition characterized by recurrent seizures (epilepsy) that begin early in life. Affected individuals have multiple types of seizures, ...and impaired mental abilities.

"...The most common seizure type is tonic seizures, which cause the muscles to stiffen (contract) uncontrollably.  These are of the grand mal seizures.  Also common are atypical absence seizures, which cause a very brief partial or complete loss of consciousness. Additionally, many affected individuals have episodes called drop attacks, which cause sudden falls that can result in serious or life-threatening injuries. Drop attacks may be caused by sudden loss of muscle tone (described as atonic) or by abnormal muscle contraction (described as tonic). Other types of seizures have been reported less frequently in people with Lennox-Gastaut syndrome. Seizures associated with Lennox-Gastaut syndrome often do not respond well to therapy with anti-epileptic medications.  Although each seizure episode associated with Lennox-Gastaut syndrome is usually brief, more than two-thirds of affected individuals experience prolonged periods of seizure activity (known as status epilepticus) or episodes of many seizures that occur in a cluster." Some days she would have over 5 seizures before even getting her to school. 

Her daughter underwent brain surgery Friday to hopefully lessen the frequency and intensity of her seizures. It took over 8 hours in surgery, and she was in ICU and on the ventilator until the next morning when they took it out and moved her to an epilepsy monitoring unit.

Her name is Heather and I don't know what her daughter's name is but I need all the prayer warriors here to send hope, life, and love towards them.

Thank you all!

Julie

Tags (1)
28 Replies
indingrl

Prayers lifted

Mandolinrain

Count on my prayers also. And while we are at it, may we please add Ryan Newman to the prayers. We are huge Nascar fans of his and he was just in a horrific accident at Daytona 500. No news yet on his condition, as I type this.

0 Kudos
DonnaMarie

Healing and successful thoughts coming her way.

Donna

JACKIE1-25-15

Prayers for Heather's daughter's recovery. 

tjanddj

My prayers for Heather and her daughter.

elvan

Prayers coming, Julie.  I so hope that she does well and that Heather can handle this difficult time.  I am so glad that she came into your life and your son's.

Ellen

minihorses

As am I.  My son is so happy to have her as his caseworker.  I think she's a saint.

Cousin-Itt

Prayers being said for Heather and her daughter  

sweetplt

Julie minihorses You got it...lifting her up in prayer right now...in Jesus’ name...