cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

catsalvano

Nicorette and hiccups - is that a thing?

So - no lie - almost every time I start to chew the gum - I get hiccups almost immediately. I mean this is the least of my problems right now but it’s so weird?! Is this a thing? Anyone else experience this?

Tags (1)
12 Replies
MartyO

YES!!!!  This happens to me too!!

Barbscloud

Curious minds want to know!

How to use nicotine gum

Nicotine gum comes in several flavors and in two strengths: 2 mg and 4 mg. Start with the 4 mg strength if you smoke 25 or more cigarettes a day or if your doctor recommends it.

Do not chew nicotine gum like normal gum. Instead, use the "chew and park" method:

• Use one piece of gum at a time.
  • Put a piece of gum into your mouth, and chew it slowly a few times to break it down. Chewing will release a "peppery" taste. Next, park the gum between your gums and cheek, and leave it there.
  • Repeat the process of chewing and parking for about 15 to 30 minutes, or until there is no more peppery taste released by chewing. The gum is used up at that point. The nicotine from the gum makes its way into your system through the blood vessels that line your mouth.
  • If you chew the gum without parking it, the nicotine will be released directly into the saliva in your mouth and you will swallow it. This may cause a stomachache, hiccups, or heartburn. Also, it may take longer for the nicotine to get into your bloodstream.
catsalvano

Wow!!! So clearly I am using the gum wrong hahahaha

marciem

Do NOT feel bad about that catsalvano‌ !!  I think many many people didn't/don't think it is necessary to RTD about chewing gum since we all did it from childhood up, right? Pop one in and chomp chomp chomp our nerves away, no?  What directions?  Ummmmm.  hahha (hiccup).  I used the gum once or twice and had the same thing happen until I saw on a quit site something about "park it"...

I get the hiccups with the lozenges. Now I know why. 

5Jacks

It didn't even occur to me to read the labeling on the lozenge container. I mean, we all know what to do with a lozenge, right? I'll never forget the first one I put in my mouth. I was driving home from my smoking cessation class. Within a minute, my throat got this tingly sensation and then, all of a sudden, it felt like my throat was closing up on me and I started to half belch half hiccup. I was on the highway wondering if I needed to find the nearest hospital. I thought to myself, I'm never having one of those things again. At some point, I decided to read the label and learned that I had done it all wrong.

Yeah I didn't read the label either. I using the gum this time. This is my second quit. First time I didn't know about this group. Going on 4 days. So far I haven't had the hiccups with the gum

5Jacks

You go, girl! I think this group makes all the difference in the world in helping to maintain one’s quit.

It does make a world of difference. I haven't really craved a cigarette. I also have been feeling sick. Smokers flu. I feel much better today. I will say one thing feeling sick sure made me not want to ever smoke a cigarette again.