cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Tsngo

Keep backsliding!

I keep backsliding and I feel awful again. The furthest I've gone without vaping since my first quit attempt on 1/1 is 7 days. Help! I really want to stop! I started smoking in my early teens and am now 62. I turned into a "social" smoker years ago and lit up with a friends and family that smoked mostly. Then I discovered vaping a couple years ago. I wish I hadn't! I have been using nicotine lozenges during these stretches when I've not caved in, reading alot for the first time about the addiction and beginning to understand the complexity of this terrible habit. I still don't understand why I keep caving though......

My whole family smoked growing up and two of my three adult children smoke. Feel very guilty. Find it hard to believe when I was in high school there was a smoking area! Feeling defeated, but going to keep trying. 

8 Replies
maryfreecig

Good to hear from you Tsngo. When I quit in 2013 at the age of 54, I thought that I should be better right away. I did not realize that I had to relearn life without smoking. I had to learn to feel happy without smoking, angry without smoking, do chores, work, take a break, etc. I really thought that the mind was suppose to change in an instant. But it really is one day at a time, with support, with aids if need be, with education, with a plan. All this one day at a time. 

Today, my addiction  has gone safely dromant, and I do not ever again have to answer to it. Give yourself all the supplies, support, connections, allies, to-do lists to get this quit done for yourself. 

PastTense

Hey, Tsngo‌, I feel you pain!

I have had one slip after another - but finally got one to stick.  I had a written quit plan and checked in here every day.

The quit plan helped me define the tools I needed to overcome cravings.

Logging in every day kept me anchored and accountable.

That's what worked for me.

Keep the quit

PT

Keep the Quit
PT
Swanbird

It's difficult to relearn life again and that's what you will need to do to get over this.  You can do it you just need to prepare yourself.  I'm not a pro by any means but it is really about mindset.  The best thing that worked for me is a quit kit.  You can do it!!  Come here every day and read, read, read!

Legend

For me I had to get it into my head that I had to make a permanent decision and no matter what happens I would not smoke. Instead of smoking I made myself a quit kit and read all I could here on this addiction. If I ever got triggered I yelled out to someone either in a blog or privately to someone here in a message if it was something really personal and I did not want to blog about it and help came fast. Keeping yourself busy helps a lot it gets your mind off of smokes. Do anything to keep you busy reorganize your kitchen or bathroom or bedroom or garage just stay busy. Start a hobby that is always interesting to do. Keep telling yourself you can do this because you can. On my page you can find my quit kit I have it featured at the top of my page if you want to snoop around in it. I also like to go over to Youtube and listen to concerts and watch all kinds of videos it keeps my busy and it’s free yay I like free stuff. If you get in a bad mood find a very funny movie to watch and you will find that bad mood gets better when you start laughing. It would be good to always have at least a couple funny movies on hand at all times if you need it to pull yourself out of that bad mood. Youtube has a lot of funny videos to watch. I like to make some hot chocolate when I am in a bad mood or just frustrated and I put tiny marshmallow in it then break off a small amount of chocolate then melt it in my hot chocolate and that’s some pretty good stuff. Best wishes to you I hope you can get your addiction under control soon. The light is always on at this place.      

Barbscloud

I have also been a serial quitter and have tried everything from various NRT, hypnotism, acupuncture, etc.  This is my first successful quit (almost 2 years).  I did choose to use aids -Welbutrin, nicotrol inhalers and a cessation class.  I believe what made the difference this time is that I found the Ex a week before I quit. I hadn't educated myself about nicotine addiction or created a plan in the past. I just picked a date and decided to quit without understanding the journey.  Even knowing what to expect at the various stages has made such a difference.  And of course having support has been a key factor.  Especially early own having someone to reach out for help at on those rough days kept me moving forward.  You can do this.  Use this site to help make it happen.  We're here for you, so just reach out.

Barb

Barbscloud

So how is it going?   Have you begun your journey again.   We want you to be successful.

Barb

Tsngo

Ugh, just finished replying and it disappeared. 

My "quit" is still in the giving in occasionally stage unfortunately. The longest I have gone with out is 7 days. But, I still WANT to fight it and beat it !!!!!!! 

THANK you for asking. 

Barbscloud

This is not easy.   It's so important to have a quit plan so when day 7 arrives you already know what to do.  And 7 days is a major accomplishment.   Believe in yourself.   And, reach out for support.  This is my final quit and major part of that is the support I received on this site.  Early on these members saved my quit several times and we can hopefully help do that for you.  

Barb

0 Kudos