cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Smiley08

How to Stop Morning Smoke

I cannot seem to stop the morning cig with coffee. I always stop off to get my coffee and a smoke, thinking it’s going to get me going for the day (I know this is fault). I’ve gone about four mornings without it but keep relapsing... please help. 

0 Kudos
16 Replies
PastTense

I'm glad you brought that up, Smiley08

All of us have that one smoke that is the hardest to quit.  That first smoke with coffee was my favorite, as well.

I had to make some serious changes to break up the patterns and the habits that surrounded smoking. 

I didn't have my coffee until I got to work.  That helped. 

No smoking in the car.

There was no way in hell I was going to give up coffee and smoking at the same time, but changing my routine helped me over that hurtle.

Keep the quit

PT

Keep the Quit
PT
Barbscloud

As PT said, it's so important to change up your routine and hence develop new associations that don't involve smoking.  There's where a quit plan comes in.  Don't smoke in your car - I listened to music, kept sour candy in my car, and chewed on straws.  Don't stop to get coffee--after a few days you'll have learned a new behavior.  Do it once and you'll feel the success.  I didn't give up my coffee either. I used to drink it on the porch while I smoked.  Now I drink my coffee while I'm on the Ex in the morning.  You can do this!

Barb

AnnetteMM

Try making one change to the routine. Maybe add a little sugar to your coffee, or try a flavored creamer. Sit somewhere else. Get on the computer or watch the morning news. Take your coffee for a walk. Start a journal. Keeping your writing hand busy keeps it away from cigarettes!

Smiley08

Thank you all. I’m going to try the no smoking in the car and coffee at work routine. I also love music and was thinking this morning if I’m singing on the way to work then I can’t be smoking! 

Appreciate you all!

SuzyQ411

Raise you voice to the Heavens and sing away! A good plan!

maryfreecig

My opinion only--spend more time planning your quit. Make a list of things you will do instead of smoke. Refer to the list. Morning and coffee do not cause smoking or relapse--but it sounds to me as though you are moving toward quitting rather than relapsing. Keep working toward your goal.

Welcome to Ex. Also there may be additional resources in your community to add to your tool bag. Please read and learn about nicotine addiction--this can help you plan your approach to your morning routine. Blog and comment as you wish. Ex is here for you 365.

/blogs/Marilyn.H.July.14.14.-blog/2019/11/21/mindset-success-go-hand-in-hand by Marilyn

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/newbie-quitters/blog/2019/01/27/one-of-the-greatest-tools-... by Jackie

Dopamine - the Double Edged Blade by Thomas

What is the Single Best Thing You Can Do to Quit Smoking? - YouTube 

green1611

Hello,

Instead of stopping at a particular point...and having coffee and cigarette, avoid such point.

If possible, change entire morning schedule. Go for walk, gym, or treadmill is possible. Else listen to your close to heart music or whatever you like next to smoking.

And follow the changed schedule for three weeks without break, possibly 21 days funda will work for you.

All the best !

Smiley08

I’ve changed my morning routine and since Monday I have been smoke free. This morning I was craving so so bad but I used my supports and did a quick review of my reasons for quitting. I didn’t stop off by and buy a pack or coffee and it was tough cause I wanted to!! But I’m feeling proud of myself and know I’m going through withdrawal. Thank you for your advice and rooting for me! 

Barbscloud

That's fabulous.  You're learning new associations and the old one's will fade with time.  Big congrats.  

Barb