cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

lynnjoss

Day 3 Struggling

Its Day 3 and I've never made it this long in 45 years of smoking.   The first two didn't seem that bad and got through with feedback and advice from this site.  Today its tough!  Feeling tired and depressed and angry and not sure why other than my addiction wants to smoke and I keep saying NO.   LOL, I guess I feel like throwing a tantrum!!!  

Tags (2)
9 Replies
AnnetteMM

One day, one hour, one minute at a time. Check in with your body. Are you drinking enough water? Do you need a snack? I needed a bit of sugar when the cravings hit hard. 

1f24d4d75867af5f6684307e4b7160e9.jpg

Breathe through the hard parts. They will only last a few seconds. Distract yourself. Find something on TV, get your hands busy with something. You can do this!!!

0 Kudos
Sonia2019

Congrats on 3 days lynnjoss! You are feeling what we have all felt at some point along this journey, withdrawals can be tough, some days are better than others. Some days, you WILL find yourself throwing a tantrum. The great thing is that you came here to talk about it, and if there is anything I have learned this time around with quitting smoking, is that you are not in this alone, none of us are. The support from the people in this community has been phenomenal! It won't always be easy, but stay strong....don't give up!

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

Kick, scream, throw a tantrum - WHATEVER it takes not to smoke!  Try to stay busy and not think about smoking.  Go for a walk, call a friend, take slow/deep/calming breaths, march in place, clean out a drawer then do it all AGAIN!  We call the first week of a quit H#ll Week for a reason.  I wish there was a magic pill to make it all easy-peasy, but alas, I haven't found one.

The only way out is through!

Whoopee for DAY THREE!  Keep going - it will get easier, I promise, but you must be patient!

Jelexie

I completely agree with this! Feel like throwing a tantrum? DO IT (safely). I slept through my first three days because it felt better than being awake - and I'm still quit! Give yourself permission to be angry and cranky if your body needs to be. (I don't know if I should be giving advice on only day 6 - I just know that I'm always better off when I'm not fighting what's right for my body.)

Barbscloud

Congrats on three days.  That's an amazing accomplishment.  What you're feeling is normal--most of us have been there.  Keeping busy really helped me a lot.   When I felt like that, I would just go for a walk. Even a short walk can help you to refocus.  And, I came the Ex for support.  The Ex saved my quit several times early on.  Keep coming back!

Barb

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

As long as you do not hurt anyone it is okay to throw a tantrum.  The kid wants the pacifier but you can't have it. Turn your struggle into a challenge it will make it easier.  Breathe through this.  It is not easy but doable.  You just have to get through the rough patches to get to the smooth road. /blogs/JACKIE1-25-15-blog/2019/09/26/practice-this-breathing-exercise?sr=search&searchId=782b4949-5f...‌.  Have plenty of cold water readily available.  If you have an urge walk away from it. Go to another room or take a walk.  Do something other than smoke. /blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instead-of-smoke?sr=search&searchId=eb99...

maryfreecig

Thanks for talking about your day three. Getting through this is how you teach your brain to forget about begging to go back to the way it was. You said it yourself--3 days--you've never been this long without in 45 years. That is magnificent and a big accomplishment. You have a right to tell that monkey on your back that you had 45 years of smoking and now you're not doing that anymore! Keep making it through each hour until bedtime, then call it a day.

Short term relief--watch a comedy (slap stick works), take a walk, go to a gym, breath in--breath out everything, do something with your hands, read something you like to read, video yourself talking about where you are at--rewatch in an hour. Take a cold shower, eat something unpleasantly sour.

sweetplt

Throw the tantrum hon...it is better than smoking...every time you say NO to Nico demon...You get stronger and he gets weaker.  Sending good vibes your way...lynnjoss 

~ Colleen 427 DOF 

0 Kudos
Legend

Hang in there you can do this. You are doing great keep telling yourself you can do this. Here is a great blog for you to read just click on the link below and it will take you to this blog.

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/newbie-quitters/blog/2019/10/21/wait 

0 Kudos