cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Giulia

Jive Platform Instability

I was just trying to give a new member information on how to send a private message.  And there are several ways to do that.  But none of them work consistently.  And that's a problem.  And it has been a problem since this site moved to the Jive platform.  I believe.  Or at least QUITE A WHILE.  Sometimes you can hover over an avatar/name and a pop up will present with the option to send a message.  Sometimes not.  Sometimes you can click on a member's avatar/name and be taken to their page and from there click on Actions and send a private message.  Sometimes you can't even get to a member's page by clicking on it.  Sometimes you can embed a video and sometimes you can't.  Sometimes the "reward" points system is working, sometimes it's not.  The "points" have broken down enough during the past several years that it's becoming no longer unusual, and this is not a good thing.  Let alone the computer moderating system which also seems to change - too often, frankly.  No one wants spam, but to have several times a year when content from members is suddenly moderated.... it's confusing to new members and not helpful

I, as a member, have a problem with all of the above.  And it's not a new situation.  This has been going on for quite a while to my mind.  It's annoying and confusing and not helping in our efforts to offer support here and probably not helpful to those who have newly joined and are trying to navigate the site and gain support.

So let me be very blunt - in my experience since the change of platform - the Jive platform for all it's bells and whistles is inconsistent, frustrating and confusing.  It is not, to my mind, serving this community well. (Though it may be serving those who need the metrics in a different arena.)  And I have been here since the inception of EX on the beautiful, simple NING platform.  If you listen to the comments from new members, many seem to be confused as to how to navigate the site.  (And perhaps I'm just seeing those comments and not all the others about how easy navigation is here.  Actually I've never read ONE comment about the ease of navigation.)  People looking to quit smoking need the easiest of possible ways to communicate.  

I, for one, am getting tired of hearing that Jive is "working on the solution."  How long does one wait until the problem is finally solved?  Years?  Apparently so, as it's already been several years since EX has been on this platform.

Just needed to vent.  Always grateful for the fact that we are provided with this site for free.  I never take that for granted.  But - I AM frustrated.  

28 Replies
MarilynH

I agree with everything you are saying 100 % I'm thinking it's been 3 years since we've moved over to this platform or is it 4 now? I do remember it was in January I Read so often how new members are struggling to maneuver around they find it difficult and it is let alone the issues of things only working sporadically.... I'll be quiet now.....

sweetplt

Oh Giulia vent away...I have found so computer illiterate on this site because I am so confused after being here over a year.  Actually, I was on another quit smoking site years ago and a brain aneurysm forum, both I was a moderator.  Ning was used on the Brain site.  All I know is I could maneuver around and help others ... now I am often at a loss...I tell others who smoke if they want to quit smoking to come to Ex’s, but I am honest that it isn’t an easy forum especially for people in my age group who aren’t always the biggest in computers and sites...Thank you for speaking for many of us...You are so smart that if you feel this way, well...I don’t feel as dumb now...Happy Friday dear lady....~ Colleen 424 DOF 

You are not dumb one little bit!

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Giulia‌, MarilynH‌ and sweetplt

Thanks for your candid words.  We've actually begun the process to re-platform to another community platform by the end of 2020. I too share the frustrations you have, support-wise especially, as it has been challenging when the application hasn't done what it's supposed to and support has taken longer than I would expect to solve a reported issue. I'm the one to catalogs and reports the issues so they're front of my mind.

I don't have details yet on the move as we're in the early stages. We'll definitely take what we have learned(your feedback from the last couple years, member usage, etc) here on this platform into consideration as we look towards the future migration. As before,there are lots of considerations in selecting and organizing a move. Some considerations are hard requirements, as we're a health improvement-based site. Usability is key for me as we look to serve a wide audience of people looking to quit.

We'll keep you informed along the way as much as possible and get you involved in the process where it makes sense.  Thanks for your continued dedication and support to EX! We have a busy year ahead of us!

Your EX Community Manager,

Mark

EX Community Admin Team

Seems to me like throwing the baby out with the bath water (are you old enough to remember THAT adage?).  I am left wondering if some of the Jive bells and whistles were disabled  the software might be a little more reliable?  Maybe look at what's actually used, eliminate the rest, and make those things the priority to keep up and running?

idk if I am up for the challenge of another platform move...........................................

YoungAtHeart‌  Well there is an underlying point system that exists even if the Jive Rewards system is turned off so it would just be replaced with another counting system. It's been a while since I used that points system (somewhere between 2011 and 2013 if my memory serves me correctly) so I don't even remember what it's like.  Furthermore, turning it off wouldn't change the issues people are seeing with the Hovercards not loading consistently, the unexpected error on the profiles or the video embedding, there seperate issues. Also badges wouldn't be available any longer either. It may resolve the issue with posts going to moderation that have links however I cannot guarantee that is 100% the case.

And btw, both you and MarilynH‌ are able and will figure out the next platform. I'll do my best to bring you onboard.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team

I appreciate that!  I do know how much time and effort will go into this....and guess we should appreciate it!  I DO appreciate the time and effort  the jury will be out awhile on the finished product!

(I stopped paying attention to the points system when it first malfunctioned, so I haven't paid it any mind since shortly after the platform migrated.  At the time, I had decided to give away ALL my points, and was working towards that goal when it went haywire.  They were subtracted from me, but never ended up with the intended recipients - and nothing was able to be done about it....so I was done, too!!)

I've been involved in a number of computer conversions as well as implementing a totally new computer system when I was employed.  They are necessary, but certainly can be painful.