cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

wells3007

Does anyone else feel shaky and have a mild headache with a patch?

Today is quit day and I am using patches to help. I put one on about an hour ago and I am already not liking how I feel. I feel shaky and a mild headache. Has anyone else felt like this and how long does it last?

Side effects of patches

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex and congrats on your decision to quit.  There can be side effect from any quit aid, but quitting smoking can also results in some physical symptoms.  Have you been reading posts on this site and created a quit plan?  Understanding this addiction and what to expect on this journey can be so helpful.  If it continues you might want to consult with your doctor.   We're here to support you and want you to help you be successful.

Barb

Giulia

Here's a blog that discusses withdrawal symptoms:    https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex/blog/2018/01/04/early-withdrawal-symptoms   And here's one on the specific side effects of the patch:  Nicotine Patch: Indications, Side Effects, Warnings - Drugs.com   along with this:  Nicotine (Transdermal Route) Side Effects - Mayo Clinic   Headache is on the list.'

It's a good idea to drink LOTS of water during the quitting process.  Helps to detoxify the body.

YoungAtHeart

I am wondering if you are using the correct mg patch.  You should have been smoking a pack a day for the 21 mg patch.  Each cigarette contains about 1 mg of nicotine - and you should match the total per day to the patch strength.  If it is not strong enough, the symptoms you describe can also be attributed to too low a mg one!

0 Kudos
wells3007

I am using step 1 for people that smoke more than 10 a day which I did. I a, feeling better now, it was probably just the initial dose of nicotene entering my system. But it seems to be working so far, haven't had any cravings.

Tdraym

The patch has helped me very good  I'm at step 2 14 mg. 44 days smoke free, It didn't give me headaches but a little shaky for a couple days without the cigs just when the cravings were wanting to be filled and had to tell myself No, still get cravings but mot as much or as many shakes are gone, have to remind myself to change the patch a couple of days so must be easier to tell myself were not a smoker any more, Hope it works for you , stick with it,   Mini lozenges have helped me also you can do it 

Giulia

Look at you Tdraym‌ - 44 entire days smoke free.  I consider that a big WOW.  You're doing GREAT.  HANG ONTO IT!  Ya hear?!

0 Kudos
wells3007

Thank you. I am on day 5 and no longer have the headache or shakes. The

patches are working great. I did buy lozenges to have on hand bit havrn't

had to use any of them yet. I already notice I don't have as much wheezing

at night when I go to bed. Congratulations on your success so far!

Giulia

Well isn't THAT happy news!  Day Five.  Wow.  Stay on course.  You're doing great!

0 Kudos