Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

About quitting smoking around friends who smoke

What’s your advice to me?

8 Replies
Gai.C

Rember your reason,reason's for Quitting. If they are at your  house remind them no Smoking in your house. Don't sit outside while they are Smoking until you are comfortable with the situation.  

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

Feel sorry for them - not jealous.  They are still in the clutches of the addiction.  They are wasting their money, feeling like outcasts, smelling awful and ruining their health.  YOU are not!!!

Put some Vicks under your nose to negate the smell.  You might ask them to assist in your effort by not smoking in your presence and I would limit time with them while they are smoking if they can't abstain around you - at least in the early days of your quit. 

You shouldn't lecture them about it, or try to talk them into quitting.  You SHOULD mention the good things about it as you notice them...sense of taste and smell returning,  coughing lessening, extra $$$ in your pocket, the smell of your freshly washed hair!!!  You may introduce the idea of quitting just by the good example you are setting.

indingrl

Welcome and it was SUGGESTED to ME - to EDUCATE myself about MY NICOTINE addiction -  read - read - read - read EXteam blogs - read Dr Hays blogs here and to read ALL the info they offer here and to go watch the video's at whyquit.com -  to read Joel book called NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF EVER- these are the instructions given to ME 9 YEARS ago - just sharing - please take what HELPS and let go of the rest - to be HELPFUL is MY only aim - thank you

0 Kudos
sweetplt

I had one best friend that smokes...in the beginning that I was quit, I explained to her that I was quitting and that I needed time away from everyone as I battled the early days quit.  I told her eventually I will be able to get together with friends, but I needed my lone time.  I set the boundary when I started getting back to life, I told her she would have to smoke outside away from me...now I don’t even know if she smokes, until I smell her...if family and friends care and love you ... they will smoke away from you...~ Colleen 422 DOF 

Barbscloud

Do what works best for you.  If it's hard for you to be around them, explain you're quitting and taking a temporary break.  I smoked outside anyway, so anyone coming to my house was used to that.  Early on my sister smoked at my house (outside) and it didn't bother me.  I'd even go sit with her.   One rule:  do not leave any used ashtrays when you leave.  

Swanbird

My best friend smokes and she is very considerate about smoking around me.  True friends will understand and they will accommodate YOU!

JACKIE1-25-15

Here is a blog with comments that may be of help. /blogs/Mandolinrain-blog/2018/09/21/dealing-with-mate-friends-that-still-smoke 

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Lighthouses388‌ How are things going?

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos