cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

debilynn50

Quit date and fear

My quit date is February 1, 2020.  I am very nervous and have some fear about even trying.  I do have patches, gum and am taking Wellbutrin.  I just need to be able to get up that morning and put a patch on.  I'm a type 1 diabetic and my risk for heart disease is higher than a non-diabetic.  That is one of the reasons I'm wanting to quit and also I am really sick of smoking.  I hate the taste, smell and the monkey on my back.

I am hoping to get some support from the EX community.  I appreciate any and all advice.

Debbie   

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Sonia2019

Hi debilynn50‌ - Welcome to Ex, and congratulations on making the decision to quit smoking! It sounds like you've prepared yourself for success, that's a great start. It won't be easy, but it does get better. This community is very supportive and offers great advice, in addition to sharing very helpful information. I would recommend that you familiarize yourself with the variety of topics/groups available, they are all very helpful. You will find all of the support you need right here. Don't hesitate to reach out. As you will hear this a lot in the Ex community, we are all on this journey together! Best of luck to you! 

Image result for You got this

0 Kudos
marciem

Congratulations on your terrific decision to quit smoking, debilynn50‌ !! It is the best thing you can EVER do for yourself.

I think we can all relate to the fear you're feeling.  I know I can.  "What will I do with myself?"  "Who will I be without cigarettes?"  " Can I get through a day?"  "Will I get sick like I see in movies of people in withdrawal?"  All sorts of things go through your mind.

And I can honestly tell you that the anticipation and anxiety before quitting is FAR worse than the reality.  The reality of the early part of quitting isn't great, but it isn't nearly as bad as we feared and anticipated. 

As suggested, you can use the time before your planned date to read and educate yourself more about this addiction and about the process of quitting (it isn't an event, and it isn't a sprint... it's a marathon  ),  Aaaaaand, try to change your mindset of fear and dread to one of excited anticipation of the new and really remarkable adventure you are embarking on.  There is a LOT to look forward to!!   Also, gotta say it... there's nothing stopping you (except yourself) from getting rid of your cigarettes and going for it before Feb. 1.  Just sayin' ... but whatever you choose, go all in 100% !!

Keep posting and reading, we're here to support you!!

0 Kudos
EleanorRigby

Its only scary cause your date is too far away.   Make your date tomorrow, today, now.  It becomes less scary. The demon is attacking you trying to get you to smoke forever. Be happy about your decision.  You will never regret it.. first few days might be trying but nobody has ever died from quitting, only lived a far more happy healthy life.  Cigarettes have the exact opposite effect that you think they have... they don't calm you, they don't help you concentrate.  They don't make you happy..

You may know this, but be sure and don't use gum and patches together or double up on any NRT.  It doesn't help and could be dangerous.  Get your quit kit ready.  Regular gum, mints, grapes, healthy snacks, walking shoes etc.  And remove ALL lighters, ash trays, empty packs and all smoking items.    No hiding cigs for an emergency.. this is an emergency.  Its an emergency that you don't smoke...

Good luck.  Keep us posted.  Do everything you can to educate yourself on the addiction.  It will help tremendously.

Gloria

0 Kudos
Cousin-Itt

debilynn50     This hung quote hung on my refrigerator for years. It was put up when my children were still in school to help them. It eventually helped all of us      You got this

“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”

Frank Herbert, Dune

maryfreecig

Welcome to Ex, debilynn50

I was pretty nervous when I quit in October 2013. I'd smoked for many decades and at the age of 54 thought that it was to late for me to quit. So my mental state as I approached my quit day was something like being in thick fog, stunned, disbelieving that I was really doing what I set out to do.

I prepared to quit as best I could by searching the internet and especially youtube for good/solid quit ideas. I wrote them down. I made a quit plan--as suggested. I wrote a list of things I'd do other than smoke. As I was doing these things (over a period of 2.5 weeks), they were acts of willingness--inside I felt all upside down. I'd have moments of thinking that if I'd smoked  for so long, why was I quitting now. Who was I to dare to stare down my smoking dependency? And I doubted if I had any "true grit" to do what I'd wanted to do on and off for years. To turn a wish into reality. The dependency seemed so strong and I felt so weak. That was 6.3 years ago. Smokefree and recovered from my dependency. It no longer controls me.

Time and time again, smokers succeed at  quitting. It's done just as you are doing it, deciding and choosing a way to quit. Support is a powerful quit tool, too. And Ex will be here for you 365. 

Some great reads about quitting:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/newbie-quitters/blog/2019/01/27/one-of-the-greatest-tools-... by Jackie

/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2019/08/05/give-this-the-time-it-takes by Nancy

/blogs/Marilyn.H.July.14.14.-blog/2019/09/30/its-bound-to-take-time-to-relearn-life by Marilyn

Also may be useful to you:

What is the Single Best Thing You Can Do to Quit Smoking? - YouTube 

Quitting Cigarettes Journal  my google quit blog-started in 2014

0 Kudos
avian3

I can still clearly remember to this day the anticipation the days before quitting were the worst. I had the worst anxiety and fear I would fail and could never live a happy life without smoking. That was the worst part about the quitting process.

After I finished that first day without a cigarette with all the will power I had, I suddenly felt more relaxed and proud of myself knowing I could do this. Each day after I was even more confident.

0 Kudos