cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Cyn7077

Jumping in

My quit date is Jan 25 . I woke up this morning coughing my head off . So today is my new quit date . I feel really good about this and I am more than ready . I also am using the gum , but want to quit this as soon as possible . Will be reading my bible and praying like never before . God has already blessed me in so many ways . One day at a time , I can do this . Let my journey begin .

9 Replies
sweetplt

Hi Cyn7077 so glad today is your quit day...sounds like your health is suffering like many of us from smoking.  I too, prayed and meditated a lot through my journey....reading bible for strength and giving up our pain and craves to God truly helps...Keep close to us to get help and to encourage others on this journey....Make Day 1, Day Won...

Gotcha in my Thoughts ~ Colleen 417 DOF 

0 Kudos
PastTense

Good morning, Cyn7077‌, and welcome aboard!

Constant coughing was part of my reason for quitting, too; and you can never quit too soon.

Have you developed a quit plan?  I discovered that a solid quit plan helps lead to a solid quit.

I used the gum, too. Maybe we were sisters in another life!  You may have already done this, but read the directions on how to use the gum.  I didn't and couldn't understand why my stomach was so torn up.  Had an embarrased moment when I realized it was my damn fault for not reading the instructions. 

I'll be keeping an eye out for you

Keep the quit

PT

Keep the Quit
PT
YoungAtHeart

GOOOOOOOOOOOO, Cyn!!!!!!!

One day (sometimes an hour) at a time.  Be cautious with the gum use.  You don't want to sub it for every cigarette you used to smoke.  Delay, distract, get busy, sip water, go for a walk, march in place, take slow/deep breaths and only use it as a very last resort.  Keep in mind that the directions are designed by the folks who are selling you the gum.  My caution is so that you don't replace one addiction for another; I have seen folks become addicted to IT if they sub it for every cigarette.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

Roj

Awesome for you, stay here and read all day if necessary...I chewed a lot of straws my first few days...you got this, blessings

Barbscloud

Welcome and congrats on your quit date today.   You've made a great decision for your health.  There are many side effects in common from quitting, but they can vary by individual.  Coughing is common for many, but I didn't cough at all.   Knowing that what you experiencing is normal helps us stay on our journey. Stay close and reach out if you need support.

Barb

AnnetteMM

Great Decision!!!!!!!!!

congratulations-you-did-the-thing.jpg

0 Kudos
ElaineL2

There are a lot of great tips and advice from some very wise folks above, so I'll just say Cyn7077‌ congratulations on your decision to quit today -- the best decision any of us ever make! And you will do this! 

sweetplt

How is your day going Cyn7077 ? We are here to help...keep us posted...~ Colleen

0 Kudos
maryfreecig

And if one day at a time seems too long, take it one hour one minute. Yes you can. Ex is here for you 365.