cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

NicMensinga

Anxiety...

Hello everyone!! I am on day 23 today.. No smoking at all! I ran out of patches 3 days ago and decided to try without them. I had been forgetting to put one on until 11am or later then taking it off at 8pm. Only step 2 as well so not a very high dose. So far so good.. No cravings at all. Even sat with a friend when she had 2 and was pretty grossed out! I have noticed my anxiety has increased the last 2 days. Anyone experienced this when coming of NRT? Thank you  xx

30 Replies
YoungAtHeart

I was less anxious overall when I quit.  The nicotine is only barely out of your system right now and your body is still adjusting to life without it.  Give it some time, and increase your exercise.  If it's still a problem after a month or so, you might check with your doctor.  A lot of us self-medicated for anxiety with nicotine and you might need some help with it now that you aren't doing that anymore.

Congratulations on 23 days, Nic!

Nancy

NicMensinga

Thanks Nancy! After the 3 days when nicotine was out of my body, I started to feel better! Day 29 now.. Woo hoo!  xx

Second hand smoke harms your quit. Anxiety will be relieved sooner when you stay away from all smoke for a good while.

NicMensinga

Very true..I avoid it mostly.. I am just glad it's not making me want to smoke anymore..

AnnetteMM

Without nicotine in your body you'll get some weird effects, anxiety among them. Ride it out, talk to the doctor if you feel you need to, but never ever ingest nicotine ever again! You're FREE!!

NicMensinga

Thanks! I won't smoke again! I finally get it.. Not One Puff Ever!!!

sweetplt

In the beginning of the quit, many experience anxiety ... I suffer from General Anxiety disorder and found after I quit and the nicotine was out of my body, I had less anxiety....Hang in there and try and do some breathing exercises to help ... also, you can go up in the right of your page here at Ex’s and click on the magnifier and put in anxiety and you can read many posts on this subject and what some had did to help...Keep us posted...~ Colleen 413 DOF 

NicMensinga

Thanks Colleen.. Yes I have GAD also... Smoking always made it worse but took a while to connect the dots.. I am feeling a lot better now which is great. Thanks for the tips