cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Day 1 looking for advice

Hi All, just put out my last smoke 30 minutes ago, determined to quit. I have smoked 19 years with a 1 year break 5 years ago.  Any advice to make it through the next couple of weeks?

26 Replies
Snoofy83

I'd say double up on the NRTs and don't be afraid to use as much nicotine replacement as you need. I'm in the minority in that opinion on this board but it's a proven effective alternative to cold turkey, that comforted me a lot when I was losing my mind 🙂 not that I'm all that much further ahead than you! Good luck!

Sootie

Hello! 

Read everything that you can about this terrible addiction. We are big on education here at EX-----knowing your enemy will help you survive. Seriously, it is very important no matter how much you think you may know about it.....I still read about addiction all the time. And we are addicts.....addicted to the drug of nicotine.

I loved reading the articles on whyquit.com. They are short and more like stories and they are very interesting. There are many, many other places online to find information on addiction, quitting and what to expect. 

Here are some tips of my "own".....

>I will bet you did not smoke for only a week or a month or even 6 months. So don't expect to be completely over smoking in a week or a month or six months. It takes a good year to start to learn your "new normal" again. Even after a year, there will be tests to your new found freedom....so stay alert!

>Tell yourself it will be difficult. Don't try to fool yourself by thinking there is actually an easy way through this....there is not. HOWEVER----do NOT tell your self it is impossible. It's NOT! We all did it and we are no different from you.

>Think about the times when you might be really tempted to smoke and decide ahead of time what you will do instead.

You can do anything......cry, scream, eat, dance, run, walk, sleep, hit something (don't hurt yourself or others!) sing, jump rope, do yoga.......anything, anything anything......just DO NOT SMOKE!

>Most of all know that this is one of the BEST THINGS you will ever do.....so see it through. It is a fantastic life on the other side.

Welcome to EX we are all here for each other!

Stay Strong

Thanks for the very helpful advice

Sun9beam

Great advice 

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

@Sun9beam Welcome to the Ex and congrats on your decision to quit.  Consider posting to My Journal/Blog to receive support from the community.

Barb

JACKIE1-25-15

You have one of the ingredients for a forever quit...determination.  Now add commitment, perseverance with a NOPE no matter what.  Education is the key to a successful quit. https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex/blog/2017/02/27/a-recipe-for-a-forever-quit?sr=...‌, Welcome. Quitting smoking  is doable.

green1611

Congratulations...welcome step to join Ex..

Surely you would do all those things you did five years ago,

and keep reminding NOPE NOPE NOPE.. (you can browse, good material available on NOPE)...

You will not have to quit again.

All the best!

Barbscloud

Welcome and congrats on your first day smoke free.  I believe that first day is the hardest.  You've got this.  Keeping moving forward one day at a time.  We're here for you.  Just reach out if you need help.

Barb

Giulia

How's it going for you today?  If you haven't yet, head to Best of EX (you can get there from the home page) and read through the material in there.  Lots of good information to help you along the journey.  And here's a blog that may help:  https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/message/157040-we-all-could-use-some-tips-and-tricks 

0 Kudos