cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Why do we need "proof?"

We all know NOPE. We have heard of phenomenal quits and frequent failures. We've been told all about relapse and slips almost daily. Then it happens...

That moment of decision - not the every single day of decision but the right here right now decision that says "one won't hurt my quit!"

We know the answer but it honestly didn't come down to this moment as much as it seems. Whispering Nico-lies have been drifting through our minds for days - maybe even weeks.

Why does George or Mary "get to smoke?" Why not me - at least occasionally? It isn't fair! 

What we forget is that smokers don't "get to" smoke - they have to smoke - and yes, you are just like George or Mary - an addict! 

There's no such thing as "just one!!!" There's no "get to" or I"can just quit again I already proved that I can quit!" These relapse traps only can teach you that quitting from time to time is not quitting and it doesn't spare you from any and all of the consequences of the chimney smoker. I know - I never smoked more than a pack a week or for more than Months each year. 

Now I have COPD!

You have the proof - addiction is addiction is addiction. Don't let the Nico-whispers sneak in on you! Relapse sucks. 

LLAP!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Not only does relapse suck, but

COPD sucks, big time!

Don't listen to the addict within.

Quit now before it's too late!

ElaineL2

Oh, yes, I used to play that self-pity, why do they "get to" game with myself. This quit I was able -- through a lot of reading and a super strong Quitnet support network -- to recognize my junkie thinking and addiction lies. Still and always a work in progress but I have all the proof I need that not smoking is the way to be!

0 Kudos
sweetplt

Hi Thomas Thomas3.20.2010 I am keeping my vigilance, but like I told someone here the other day, I went through each stage of “grief” with quitting and I am “acceptance” stage.  I can never smoke and what anyone else does is fine, but not for me.  Thank you for this post...I found often in my early days of quitting, I felt sorry for myself, how dumb was that, over dam cigarettes...Happy Saturday ~ Colleen 411 DOF 

0 Kudos