cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

mysecret1960

Am I alone in thinking time stands still when quitting?

So I have done the quit with out quitting many times. My hump is time begins slowing down. An hour is like a day when fighting the urge. Has anyone found useful solutions to this. 

Tags (1)
8 Replies
marciem

In answer to your title question... NO, you're not alone.  It is the famous time-warp of withdrawal, where each minute becomes an hour, each hour a day or two, and three days is forever and then some.  Seriously.

How to get through it... go through it, find something to keep your mind busy and off the clock.  There are games here, or read read read about this addiction and the wonderful things happening to your body now that you have quit, try a coloring book, knit, crochet, go walking if the weather permits, talk to friends... anything but smoke. Drink some ice cold water, blog about your journey... there is somewhere here a list of 100 things to do instead of smoking, and you may use them all in about 10 minutes the first week or so.

Knowing that it DOES get better... it honestly does, and then time zoops by you don't even remember exactly how long since your last cigarette... but that takes time and patience to get there.  Again, in order to get through it, you can't go around it under it or over it...the only way through is through.

As long as it seems, it is short time in terms of how long you smoked and how long the rest of your life will be   ..

Hang on, it does get better!!

Swanbird

I feel the same way at times!  Especially because I have been waking up in the middle of the night for 2-3 hours.  I just get in my car and go somewhere.  I find something to do.  I go to Walgreens, go for a walk, and chew so much gum!  Keep up the quit it gets better promise!

Maki

Just sharing from my own quit . 

You know, it's been a long time since I quit but yes I do remember the long early days . 

I can tell you they come to an end as long as you keep plugging away day by day not smoking . 

Distract , Delay , Discuss  ( which you are doing ) ( good job ) . Take some Deep breathes , Drink water , and I will add an extra ; Do something different . 

Take up a hobby , try doing something new. Make a list . Do something you've always wanted to do but never had time for . Try an art class, a yoga class , a music class , a horse riding class , volunteer  , take a Zumba class . You know what will work for you .  Do something fun for you and time will pass . Quitting smoking will open up a whole new world of opportunity for you . 

Walking helps as well ( mentioned by Swanbird )  and games mentioned by marciem. 

Would the long days of sadness, grief and hard work consume me forever ? At times I would be discouraged thinking they might but I was reminded by those that went before me that there is light at the end of the tunnel , there is a rainbow after the rain . I trusted them and kept going . What they said was true. 

I can tell you those days that one might think may be a never ending battle do end . Enjoy the extra time ; it is so much better than smoking . I am excited to hear what new thing you've decided to fill your extra time with . 

Staying quit will bring a new smokeless beginning worth every bit of the effort it takes.

You can do this . 

maryfreecig

I could not escape time but I tried to run ahead of it a lot anyway. I stayed busy. I did not have urges, but I looked back at my smoking life and missed it. Nonetheless, I kept staying smober. Time is the cure for the weirdness of quitting. I had to learn to forget, not just forego cigarette smoking. 

Try to write a list of things that you are willing to do, like to do, or love to do other than smoke. Make an effort to do those things when you are feeling down about quitting. Always one day at a time. 

green1611

Thats good question.

Beside smoking, you would be enjoying some more things...like walking, listening music, reading, what ever next liking thing but not smoking. try to do that .

If not watch videos and read articles on quit smoking ..it helps to register deep in mind quit program.

All the best !

0 Kudos
Tdraym

I want you to start chewing gum, after you feel it is soft enough start counting how many bites you have taken  and then compare it to a clock you will see time is moving, after a while you'll forget how many chews you did but it will take your mind off of the other things that you worried about and be happy that time has gone by, I know it dont make a lot since but it has turned out for me to only see if I should keep it in my mouth for another 5 minutes and yes it has helped me for 33 days so far, was never a gum chewer before, Just something to try to help the day go bye

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

I also just kept busy.  Kept moving all day including walking.

Barb

0 Kudos

I had the cleanest house and car on the block! Stay busy!