cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Quitting juuls

Hey everyone. I just found out about this site from a google search. And hear me out. I know this is focusing solely on nicotine addiction and breaking that habit. But juuls hit on a whole new level. I have used 5% juul pods and just stopped cold turkey two days ago. I heard the third day is the hardest. Please tell me reasons on why you need to push through to stop juuling. Or what made you succeed in pushing through during the hardest times to stop juuling. Literally anyone inspiration. PLEASE. I am craving super super hard and need someone to help me out! 

-college senior

Labels (1)
9 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

WOW - TWO days Smart Turkey (what we call Cold Turkey)?  You are doing GREAT!  The nicotine should pretty much be out of your system in three days, then it's your body adjusting to life without it, then it's dealing with the associations and triggers.  I think the last may be the most difficult part of the journey.  Because it is available to you most anywhere, anytime, I believe it might be more difficult from which to break free than tobacco products - but it CAN be done!  Read on to understand the addiction, for tips to get through craves and changing up your routines to lessen the associations and triggers.

Although primarily a smoking cessation site, I have seen a huge increase in the number of people coming for help to break free from vaping. Research suggests nicotine may be as addictive as heroin and cocaine. Here is a great article with information about the products: https://www.nbcnews.com/health/vaping/vaping-101-what-know-about-e-cigs-addiction-illnesses-n1054981... There is further information here: https://www.becomeanex.org/quitting-e-cigarettes and here; https://www.lung.org/stop-smoking/smoking-facts/impact-of-e-cigarettes-on-lung.html .

Nicotine addiction is nicotine addiction - no matter the delivery device - and how to beat any of them is about the same. Every time you read :"cigarette" in the information I will give you, just sub "Juul" or “vape,” or “device.”   . You might find useful information, as well, here: https://truthinitiative.org/research-resources/quitting-smoking-vaping/quitting-e-cigarettes.

I recommend that you educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind To that end, I suggest Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” . Vaping was not a concern when this was written, so you will need to sub “vape”as necessary. This is an easy and entertaining read which can be found online or at your local library. If you do nothing else to get ready for your quit, please do give this a read. Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

After you have completed the recommended reading, it will be time to make an informed choice of the quit aid, if any, you will use. If you go that route, I personally recommend the aids that don't let the addict control the dose such as the available prescription drugs or the patch. If used properly, gum, lozenges and inhalers are fine, but they need to be used only as a last resort after you have tried to delay and distract.   I have seen folks become addicted to them if they substitute them for every cigarette they used to smoke - just trading one addiction for another.  You need to start out with a plan to reduce use of them over time - which the patch does by decreasing the dose contained in them..  For the gum, you can start by cutting each piece in half, then in quarters, then sub regular gum of the same flavor in between, adding more and more regular gum.  For the lozenge, you need to start subbing a mint in between to begin, increasing the number of them over time.

The idea is to change up your routines so the vaping associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from where you vaped. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first puff with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to vape so the view is different. Take a different route when you are out and about so you aren't driving by your vaping supply shop. Take a quick walk at break time instead of vaping.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that vaping thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of vape if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want to vape" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

abbynormal42

You got some great advice above. But I wanted to chime in and say you are amazing for making it through the past two days cold turkey! Yes, it's hard. But yes, it's worth it. You kind of have to grit your teeth and hold on tightly the first few days, especially. Over time it gets easier. Keep yourself busy. Also, allow your body plenty of time to rest. I slept for the first 3 days of my quit. I see you are a college senior, so I imagine you are too busy with your studies to sleep for 3 days straight. But do rest when you can. Drink LOTS of water to flush your system. Eat as healthy as you can. Your body needs vital nutrients right now more than ever.

You can do this! 

Welcome!

Nicotine (even in small doses) is addictive and dangerous. To counter it please find natural dopamine.

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/community/conversations/blog/2020/01/02/why-we-smoked-and-the-way...

intervention

I hope you make it through this! If you relapse you might consider switching from a Juul to a pod system that lets you adjust the nicotine level and slowly taper down to 0% so it will be easier to quit altogether.

Metalhead1998

Hey congrats I am also a college senior on day 10 of no smoking

ndillon

I'm a 5% pod a day (sometimes more) Juuler and I need to quit. I've never been so addicted to anything in my life as the Juul and I'm a recovering alcoholic who has managed to stay sober.  I want to try to quit tomorrow or sometime soon.  I am actually experiencing heart problems related to the Juul, so this is scary.  It's a relatively benign condition that I;m treated for but the amount of nicotine in my body is affecting my heart. I have to stop.  I appreciate the information provided above.  I'm new to this site and I appreciate everyone's assistance.  

YoungAtHeart

Welcome!

Please do the reading I recommended above on addiction.  It will explain how insidiously nicotine makes a slave of you.  The tips I provided have been tried and true - I have been quit over 7 1/2 years and have experienced and read a LOT about this journey to break free.

Let us know if you have questions or need support!

Nancy

Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex.   Educate yourself about nicotine addiction and create a quit plan.  We're here to support you, so just reach out.

Barb

0 Kudos

Vaping did seem safer at the time but I feel betrayed. It was just a ploy to get me addicted to something else. I wish I would have just gone to quitting right away instead of switching to Juul or any other vaping product. It's such a waste of money and I'd be so much better off now. I will quit vaping and I'll do it without being chained to these things any more. That no 0% nicotine juices. I'm going to get completely off this stuff.