Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome: Introduce Yourself!

If you're just joining EX, we'd love for you to get in the mix and tell us a little bit about you in a comment. Don't know what to say, tell us what you're up to right now. Then be sure to fill out your Community Profile and upload an avatar.

If you're more brave and...

...ready to start your Quit Journey and share more you can Journal about it.

...have a question, you can ask it in Support, Quitting Methods or Health Conditions.

...or jump into the Conversations or latest posts from across the site..

If you're not yet brave you can...

...learn about using the community on the FAQ Page.

...read the info on My EX Plan and Set a Quit Date.

...search the community site or search from search bar on many pages (works just like Google).

...complete your EX Profile and your Community Profile.

...read the Best of EX.

...browse others' quit journeys.‌

EX Community Admin Team
Labels (1)
491 Replies
jdeezy84

Hello my name is Jon and I'm just starting my journey

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

jdeezy84 wrote:

Hello my name is Jon and I'm just starting my journey

Welcome So glad you're here Jon!

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
Tsaddik1

Hi, my name is Gary, have tried 3 times to quit in the last 6 months. (Obviously unsuccessfully )

Have to quit by 4/22/20 for a surgery to reconstruct my entire cervical spine. 

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Gary Tsaddik1

Glad you’re here!   Working to be quit before you have surgery will be helpful for recovery and healing.  Thanks for introducing yourself.   

Mark

EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
elvan

Welcome to EX Tsaddik1‌ Read everything you can find about nicotine addiction & remember that this is a journey & not an event. Make a plan, stay close to the site. You CAN do this & it will make a very positive impact on your surgical recovery.

Ellen

Tsaddik1

Thanks for the support and suggestions, Ellen. Really appreciate them both!

elvan

Tsaddik1‌ You are most welcome for any advice or suggestions that I gave you that may be of any help.   I have serious back issues that are inoperable and they contribute to my shortness of breath.  I have COPD from 47 years of smoking and I have done some serious damage to my lungs.  I WISH I had quit years ago but that wishing is not going to do me any good.  I have not smoked in over six years and I have never regretted quitting, not for one minute, I will always regret starting.  

When is your surgery?  I came to this site every morning and every evening when I first quit and I read everything that was suggested to help me.  I was really ill when I quit so I had to recover for a while in order to be able to add exercise to my program.  It was a wonderful addition.

Ellen

P.S. Oh just wanted to suggest something to you, it was a coincidence that I saw this thank you of yours, if you want to be sure someone gets a message use the @ button and their user name and they will be notified. When you type @ a list of names will appear as you start to type in the person's user name, click on it and your message will be directed to that person.

0 Kudos
Tsaddik1

elvan

Thanks for the @ tip. Sorry to hear you've had it so rough. Had surgical reconstruction of my entire cervical spine on 4/22/20, and pain was really reduced. No more lightning bolts, if you know what I mean. Making another run at quitting with new date of 8/1/20. You and others on this site have been very kind, very supportive.

elvan

Tsaddik1‌ Looks like you figured THAT out quickly.  My back issues are caused by rheumatoid arthritis and degenerative disc disease, I have a pretty serious scoliosis.  I am very familiar with the "shocking" pain, lightning bolts is a good description.  My spine is too thin for surgery and now I have just been told that part of my issues with COPD are related to my rheumatoid arthritis...seems the inflammation has entered my lungs as well.  What a joy.  

Keep reading, preparing, for your quit, 8/1 will be here before you know it!  Stay close to the site.

Ellen