cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Mindfullydone

What is your quit spirit animal?

My friend gave me a little penguin doll for my 72 hours smoke free achievement, so I've made it my quitting spirit animal. What's yours?

Tags (1)
19 Replies
abbynormal42

My quit spirit animal is the Pig. The reason behind that is a bit of a long story, but here's the short version:

On the site Quitnet, there was a group of us who quit on January 1, 2019. We encouraged and supported each other, and we decided to come up with a name for our little group. We discovered that 2019 was the Year of the Pig, so to make ourselves sound super cool we called ourselves the Thunder Pigs. LOL (We were a group with a strange sense of humor at times.)

Ever since then, I have considered the Pig my quit spirit animal. For my one-year anniversary I bought myself these earrings:

Thunder Pig earrings.jpg

Mindfullydone

That's awesome, I love the idea of the group and the name thunder pigs. I love the earrings. I'm gonna get some penguin earrings.

abbynormal42

Good idea! It's a great way to reward yourself!

Giulia

I think of my quit spirit animal being the Dragonfly.  As the transformation it goes through from water breathing to air breathing creature is not dissimilar to my own transformation from drowning nicotine slave to soaring smoke freedom.  https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/positive-affirmations-and-support/blog/2017/10/24/its-gonn...‌  

Don't you slip now...

slippery ice GIF

Or we'll have to slap you upside the head  lol           shocked april fools GIF

Mindfullydone

0 Kudos
Mandolinrain

I love dragonflies. When we were preparing to move from the farm in 2017 there was a hot evening I sat outside in the yard looking up at the empty horse pastures and I was overwhelmed with sadness. I was going to miss this place we had given our hearts to over 30 years....and I began thinking of my own Nana for some reason, who I always cherished and missed so much that I sat crying. Out of no where it seemed like hundred of dragonflies appeared and the light from the setting sun was mesmerizing off their wings. it comforted me as they flew around me for several minutes. They reappeared a couple more nights and I sat with them flying circles around me. Then after 3 nights, they never returned. I don't know, but I felt a connection with my Nana when they were there and so now every time I see a dragonfly, I feel as though she's messaging me her light and her love. Anyway, had to share that Giulia.

Giulia

Thank you for sharing that very special moment, MIssy.  Dragonflies don't fly at that time of twilight or after dark -  to my knowledge.  I think it was truly a message for you.  Just like the bird that clung to our kitchen window screen after dark and watched as I prepared lunch for my mother's friends (for the following day) whom I had invited over not too long after she died.  Never experienced anything quite like it before or since.  I interpreted it as my mother watching me and making sure I did it right.  Of course it's all in our interpretation, but believe we are afforded those amazingly emotional, visceral connective experiences to help us get through what we need to get through.  I also believe that coincidences are very much to be paid attention to.  

Mandolinrain

Giulia‌  The sun was low when it happened....just before sunset. But I have never seen them out that time of day either now that I think about it...and were SO MANY of them. it was incredible.

Giulia

Dragonflies DO migrate in large groups.  There's one, called the Globe Skimmer that travels farther than any other insect in the world.  Oh look what I just found!  The Dragonfly Swarm Project | The Dragonfly Woman   Fascinating!  And lucky you (thanks to your Nana for channeling them to your house!) that you got to experience that magic.  May I have that privilege some day.  Though getting to see a dragonfly being born was a treat too!