cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

m.vincent3203

Nicotine Patches?

Jump to solution

Hello, My name is Megan. I am new to this community, but I am ready to stop smoking. I am looking into patches, and would like some feed back on what patches work best. Also I seen some states provide people attempting to quit with patches. Does anyone know of any programs like this. I know patches can be pricey, and with three kids I really do not have room in the budget to spend on them. I will make the sacrifice to be able to stop for good, just curious if anyone has found programs that assist with this. 

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

To re-iterate what others have said above m.vincent3203, You can check if you're Sponsored in the Sponsorship area of Edit Profile. If you aren't sponsored then your best bet is to call 800-QUIT-NOW, your health plan provider, your county health department or your health care provider to see what options exist for you if you.  There are some over the counter options available as well both in generic and brand name. Some comments have been made above about those options.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team

View solution in original post

18 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to the Community!

I understand at least an initial supply of patches is available from 1-800-QuitNow. You should also check with your State or local health departments to see if they might provide them.   I have heard that the generic ones (such as Walmart brand) have better adhesive.  When budgeting, keep in mind you will have extra money when you quit because you will no longer be buying cigarettes and lighters!

The important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This easy and entertaining read provided a world of good information about nicotine addiction, most of which I was not aware.  I credit it in large part with my success at quitting.   You can search for it online or at your local library.

You should also read the posts here and perhaps go to the pages of folks who you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com, quitsmoking.com and livewell.com for the good information contained there. @https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex has lots of blogs written by members of this site with their experiences and guidance. Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

After you have completed the recommended reading, it will be time to make an informed choice of the quit aid, if any, you will use. If you go that route, I personally recommend the aids that don't let the addict control the dose such as the available prescription drugs or the patch.  Glad to hear you are planning to use patches!

It will be informative if you do the tracking and separation exercises recommended here on the site. As you track each cigarette smoked, note its importance, and what you might do instead. Put each one off just a little to prove that you don't NEED a cigarette just because you think you do.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

m.vincent3203

Thank you for all the advice! I really appreciate it, and I will look into that book today. I had a horrible time with it all last night. I had to go to a funeral (best friends grandparent) and the drive was about two hours away from where I live. So I did absolutely horrible last night. I know driving is my worst trigger, and I have to find some way to do better. I really believe I will need patches or some kind of medication to help. 

sweetplt

HI and Welcome to Ex’s

Contact your states help line 1-800-QuitNow.   There you will see if you qualify for free patches. 

Hopefully, someone will come along here and answer your question about nicotine patches and which works best.  I quit cold turkey so not sure about patches.  In the meantime, do the work  YoungAtHeart above me has given to you in order to help you with this journey.  Come here for support and to encourage others on this journey.  You can do this...~ Colleen 402 DOF 

m.vincent3203

Thank you! I will check into this today.

nwtw

I just called my state's Quit Now line and they were extremely helpful.  They gave me a lot of detail on Nicotine Replacement and set me up with the patch and gum.  I am feeling less nervous about using them after talking to the quit line.

Barbara145

Congratulations on your decision to quit smoking.  Stay close to this site.  You will need the support.  I used patches from Walmart.  Any patch takes a little getting use to.  I found them very helpful.  Personally I could not have quit without them.

m.vincent3203

Thank you! I am going to check on prices at Walmart today. 

Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex.  You've already gotten great advice.  I listened to music and sang along in the car.  I also kept Sour Patch Kids and straws to chew on.  Have you picked a date yet?

Barb

nwtw

I have picked 1/29 as my quit date