cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

jenniferrenee

Dreaded driving, ughhhh

I had a thyroidectomy on 12/03/19 with a radical neck dissection. I was so sick and still not able to fully swallow. I couldn't eat, much less smoke. Anyway, it's now about a month later. I bought one pack and smoked it between 12/20/19 - 1/4/2020. It's now been 2 or 3 days since i've smoked, and i avoided buying a pack today while i was out. That was a miracle. Driving, especially in AZ traffic, which is like L.A. traffic, but with worse drivers, seems almost impossible. Now, if i have my grandson, mom, or the dog, it's doable. I would never light up with even a pet in the car, but if i'm in the car going from place to place all day by myself, that's hard. Tips for getting thru cravings while driving anyone??

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ShawnP

sing!!! it keeps your mouth busy. Giggle around in your seat to dance.

Barbscloud

I quit smoking in my car about 4 cars ago.  I also drove in highway traffic to and from work (not as bad as LA, ugh).   Listening to music and singing along does help.   When I quit smoking almost two years ago, I kept Sour Patch Kids in the car and straws to chew on.   I also keep something in my car to read when I  arrive at my destination early instead of standing there smoking.  Congrats that you quit smoking again.  It can be easier said then down, but it is learning how to deal the the stressor's in life.   Deep breathing can help you to relax and it's something you can do in the car.  Wishing you the best on your recovery from surgery.  Protect that throat from cigarette smoke. 

We're here for you.  Just reach out!

Barb