cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

hihonu

How do you//should you wean off quitting aides + meds?

This is my first attempt quitting, and I'm using quitting aides (i.e. nicotine gum and lozenges) which really do help. Now that I'm thinking about the next step, I want to be FULLY nicotine free eventually. Should I eventually wean off the nicotine aides too? When should that be?? How would I even do that! So many questions. Any advice or personal experiences would be greatly appreciated! xoxo

0 Kudos
9 Replies
JACKIE1-25-15

The gum and lozenges have instructions to go with them.  You use them according to how much you smoked.  The gum and lozenges usually is a 12-week process of reducing intake. www.nicorette.com https:

//www.nicorette.com/about-nicorette/how-to-use-nicorette-gum.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAr8bwBRD4ARIsAHa4YyJv...

sweetplt

HI and Welcome to Ex’s

I wish I could help out, but I didn’t use NRT...I see many here say “you must follow the directions on the box”...most wean you down....Congratulations on quitting....that is super...glad you joined our site...Colleen 399 DOF 

Barbscloud

Same as Jackie advised!  Follow the instructions and then wean yourself off of them.  I've used several NRT's over the years and didn't have any problem stopping them.  Congrats on your decision to quit and continued success on your journey.

Barb

I stopped using the patch when I forgot to put it on two days in a row. I put one in my wallet with the promise I would put it on rather than smoke. It stayed in my wallet my first year.

For your situation I suggest listening to your body.

It's okay to test yourself. (just don't torture yourself)

Relapse rate for people who use NRT's is the same at 6 months as those who don't.

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

Keep in mind that YOU know your body and mind best - and that the instructions that come with the products are created by the folks who make money the longer you buy their product!  There are no other official guidelines, I'm afraid.

I am happy to hear you don't want to continue to be addicted to nicotine. You first need to delay and distract yourself before your go-to aid. Put use off as long as you can.  Learn to just breathe through a crave, or get busy to get your mind on something else, or take a sip of water, or march in place.  Then, for the gum, you can start by cutting each piece in half, then in quarters, then sub regular gum of the same flavor in between, adding more and more regular gum.  For the lozenge, you need to start subbing a mint in between to begin, increasing the number of them over time.  If this proves too difficult, you might try using the patches to wean yourself off of these, then reduce the strength of the patches over time.

This is going to take some effort on your part - but freedom from all addiction is worth it - I promise!

Nancy

0 Kudos
AnnetteMM

My advice is always to remember that this is an addiction, and that sometimes weaning down can make it worse than quitting cold turkey. It's something to be aware of.

The Law of Addiction states, "Administration of a drug to an addict will cause re-establishment of chemical dependence upon the addictive substance."

0 Kudos
Swanbird

I am on Day 19 and chewed the gum like crazy in the beginning.  Then it seemed like I didn't need it as much.  If I have triggers I chew more, if I don't I chew less.  I just try to talk myself out of it unless some major trigger hits.  Like today, I didn't really want it all day but then after dinner BAM!  There it was but I did something else and I made it 24 hours. That makes you feel so good you do actually try your best to not do it.  See how you feel...try just using it when there is a trigger!  Look it's better than smoking!

0 Kudos
green1611

Ex community is here to help you !

Congratulations on move to quit smoking. First attempt....all the best to stick to resolution.

Do not know about NRT....stay on quit smoking. It will be tough, that what thought to be. However works...

All the best...Hopefully you do not need second attempt. 

0 Kudos
stAn3

I used the patches and followed the instructions. I had trouble coming off of the lozenges because I was using them like cigarettes. Every time I came off the lozenges I’d go back to smoking. I have no suggestions for you. I just want to share my story of successfully coming off the quit aides. The people here at becomeanex helped me even with my multiple relapses. They were the ones who helped me pick a quit aid that worked for me. I have over 17 months not smoking.