cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Margaretd

Good-bye QuitNet - Hello ex community

Well, the quitnet is finished effective January 6, at 9 a.m. While I am so sad to see this support community shut down, it will forever remind me of how I was able to quit this killer addiction.  I have 940 days of freedom because of these reasons;

• I wanted to quit more than I wanted to smoke,
  • I was sick and tired of being in the claws of nicotine addiction and I didn't want to support  big tobacco anymore,
  • I knew I could not do this alone and I reached out to a support system and asked for help,
  • I got the help from the quitnet community in the form of encouragement, suggestions, humor, music and,

by seeing that others could quit and it made me think...maybe I can do this, maybe I can live without cigarettes.

I've been free of the compulsion to smoke for 940 days because I recognized I could no longer poison my body and get away with it.  

I stayed nicotine-free by re-framing how I thought about smoking:

• Smoking a cigarette is no longer an option.
  •  I removed all thoughts of "smoking just one", I can never have a cigarette
  • Instead of fearing the next intense crave, I welcomed it and embraced it as a healthy sign I was getting well
  • I understood that if I smoke even one cigarette, I might not be able to quit again and that scared me
  • I am one of the lucky ones!

I am sad that quitnet is going away tomorrow morning, happy that it was there for me and ecstatic you are here for me.

Here is a picture of me throwing a temper tantrum because the quit next is closing down - but all is okay - I no longer smoke.

I hope to re-join some of my fellow quitnet people and meet new people who are heroes of quitting a deadly addictiion

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
4 Replies
sweetplt

Sorry about your site...most of us, find change hard...You will find your way here Margaretd and eventually like Ex’s...come here for support and to help encourage others on the journey...~ Colleen 398 DOF 

Mandolinrain

Welcome to Ex, we are happy to have you. So sorry your site is shutting down but very grateful you all can come here and join us. I think you will feel well at home here and looks like many of you are here already  Thats awesome!

Strudel

Welcome to EX. I am sure the change will be hard....but, we are happy to have you join us here! 

indingrl

Welcome and CONGRATS 940 DAYS