cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Redhead101

Would giveing coffee and cigs up same time be a good thing in someone quit?

Hi I'm a pot half coffee drinker pluse cigs, wouldn't I have more withdraws quitting  both at the same time? 

4 Replies
abbynormal42

Many people associate drinking coffee with smoking cigarettes. I was fortunate. I always drank my coffee inside and smoked outside, so the two were rarely done hand-in-hand. I was able to continue enjoying my coffee after I quit.

If you quit both at the same time, you are going to experience both nicotine withdrawal and caffeine withdrawal. That's for sure. Unless you start drinking another caffeinated beverage in place of your coffee. You might try switching to hot tea for a while to see if that helps. 

You can also try switching up your routine. Instead of giving up your coffee, try drinking it in a different location. If you usually have it at your desk at work, for example, switch to drinking it in the break room. At home, if you usually drink your coffee in your favorite chair, try sitting at the kitchen table instead. Just a tiny switch like that can help change the associations you have in your mind.

Or, if you really want to quit both, just buckle up and prepare for the ride! In my experience, caffeine withdrawal usually only involves some headaches and fatigue, which tend to come with nicotine withdrawal anyway. Go through it once and have it done with! 

Whatever you decide to do, have a plan in place. If you need any help in that department, there are many of us here (myself included!) who would love to help you!

avian3

I had to give up coffee for the first 6 weeks because of the association with smoking. I drank green tea instead until one day I realized this in no way compares to coffee. With my taste buds sensitivity, I began drinking coffee again but this time it wasn't for the morning kick it gave me but for the delicious taste. I now drink more good coffee than I ever did when I smoked and enjoy the taste.

I will not give up my 2 guilty pleasure, coffee and chocolate. I may have quit smoking but I will still enjoy the pleasures of life.

Sootie

It's really a personal decision.......some people associate coffee with cigarettes and so find coffee to be a trigger. I myself, saw coffee as a salvation especially in the morning. I could still have ONE drug....caffeine. I would hold my coffee mug with two hands and sip slowly. It kind of helped with the hand to mouth thing early in the morning. After I had quit for awhile (over a year) I found that my desire for coffee lessened.....don't really know why. I still drink it but only a cup in the morning and I usually ask for decaf now. 

Anything that triggers you to smoke should be avoided at all costs especially right in the beginning of a quit. You don't want to make it more difficult for yourself.

Barbscloud

I was fine drinking coffee still.  Just changed up the location.