cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

lynnjoss

Quitting Tomorrow

Hello All!

I just re-found this site and have been reading for hours!  I've had several quit attempts in the past few months.   I've cleaned out all the ashtrays and am gonna smoke until midnight.....another half hour.   Then, I'm done.  I'm so scared.  I feel like not having my cigs is like this big scary abyss in front of me.  But I'm also really excited about finding out what its like to 'not smoke'.   I've been smoking since I was 11 and will be 60 this year.....so I really don't have a clue what it will feel like.  I guess i'm afraid to feel.  Now I'm starting to overthink too.  I read so much here about one day at a time, one minute at a time.   I'm so afraid I'll cave in when the cravings come like I always have.  I so want to make it one day without smoking.   

0 Kudos
8 Replies
sweetplt

Welcome to Day 1 lynnjoss make it Day Won...keep busy and take care of YOU...drink lots of water...

Here is a good list for you /blogs/Maggie_quit_8-1-2010-blog/2012/03/19/100-things-to-do-instead-of-smoking?sr=search&searchId=0... Keep close to the support site for help and to encourage other’s on this journey...~ Colleen 397 DOF 

0 Kudos
lynnjoss

Thank you Sweetpit!  I read the list and have it handy!  Thanks so much!  

0 Kudos
lynnjoss

Thanks Colleen!!  So far so good!  Using 2mg gum right now and it’s helping.   No desire for a cig so far.  I like feeling the air in my lungs.   My eyes feel open wider too.   Usually by now I’ve smoke half a pack and feel dull and tired.  Gonna shower and put on a 14 mg patch.   

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex and congrats on your decision of quit.  One day at a time will help alleviate the fear.  Don't overwhelm yourself early on with thinking about forever.  Each day won will build your confidence.  If you haven't created a quit plan, it really helps to plan how you'll hand various situations when you normally smoked.  Changing up your routine, quitting tools, how you'll handle a craving, etc.  For many exercise (especially walking) is helpful.   Quitter's have their favorites--I used chewing on straw, sour candy, and keeping busy.

Stay close and reach out if you need help.  We're here for you. Barb

lynnjoss

Thanks Barb!  So far today it's OK.  I woke up really late and still in my pj's at 10:30 am.   Enjoying being here in the site with no desire to smoke at the moment.   I read a lot about not getting overwhelmed and one day at a time.  I did a quit plan and have cinnamon sticks, reg gum, 2mg gum, jolly ranchers, straws.   I'm gonna allow myself whatever I need to today to get through today.  Even if that means crying, napping, yelling, whatever.....too ride through it.   Thanks so much for your support and encouragement!  

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Sounds like you've got an excellent plan in place that can only lead to success.   You're absolutely right--be kind to yourself right now!!!

Barb  

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

Congratulations on making the decision to quit smoking. Quitting smoking is doable if you make quitting smoking your number one priority and make up your mind that you can.  Relearning your thinking that you do not have to smoke or vape is a good beginning.  Make a commitment never ever take another puff.  NOPE.  Take smoking off the table as an option and do something different. 101 Things to Do Instead of Smoke SINAO smoking is not an option.  That is NOPE concept, not one puff ever. It is not by will power but your willingness to let it go forever.   Quitting is the easy part.  Staying quit takes work.   Learning to protect your quit will keep on your journey forever freedom. This journey is one day at a time.  Never give up, never give in. Hang tough Stay Close.

Education is the key to successfully quit. Read, Study, Blog and be willing to do the work.  With the help of the EX Community, you can have a forever quit.  Start by educating yourself about the addiction to nicotine. Know the LAW!  Go to My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX and review the videos and learn more about your triggers and how to prepare when the urges come   I was advised to read Allen Carr's Easyway to Quit Smoking which can be found on pdf on the web.  Another good site to get info which was very helpful to me is  www.whyquit.com.  There are several articles to read.  Nicotine 101 and FreedomFrom Nicotine My Journey Home.  To get help on navigating this site go to. Community Help‌, Again Welcome.  Stay Close.  We are here to support you. 

maryfreecig

Welcome to Ex. Keep it to one day at a time, one hour if you have to. Congratulations on quitting.

0 Kudos