cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Redhead101

How do i get threw the morning ?

I use to drinking coffee  with my cig ,I'm like a pot and half drinker far as my coffee  any suggestions

15 Replies
JACKIE1-25-15

There are quite a few suggestions floating around here about drinking coffee and not smoking.  One that I have read over the years is to switch the hands that you smoke with the coffee cup.  For me, it was easier than I thought it would be.  I loved coffee, all I could think about was how I was going to get around not having it.  That lasted for a few days when I decided what the hell.  First I was told not to drink the coffee in the usual place that I drank it.  Okay, no problem. Then it was suggested to switch hands with the cup.  Well, I did better than that, I held my cup with both hands.  There are so many things you can do.  Pretend to blow smoke. Chew on a straw.stirrer. That one works wonders.  Perch your lips like a duck. In fact, I am still perking my lips every now and then.  Breathing and believing.  Believe that you can enjoy a cup of coffee without a cigarette and take deep breathes.  I realized that I had been missing out on the true flavor of the coffee.  You will find that coffee tastes great without a cigarette in hand.  Believe you will achieve it.  It sounds corny but it is true. Bottom line... get rid of all smoking paraphernalia and keep your pj's on.   I got a little carried away here  Welcome back. 

indingrl

Welcome - when a crave hits - jog in place - gentle hug

YoungAtHeart

...but don't try to jog in place with your coffee cup in hand!

Just change up your routine a bit.  I brought my first cup to my computer and drank it while catching up on the new posts here on the site.

Be mindful that your body is going to react more strongly to caffeine after you quit smoking.  If you start to get the jitters, coffee might be the cause.  In that event, you might brew 1/2 regular, 1/2 decaf.  I started doing that and never noticed any difference.

Good question!

Nancy

green1611

Breaking habit of having cup (or cups) of coffee duirng smoking cessation is equally important. The intent is not to smoke, hence not to do even preceding act of drinking coffee. Coffee + Cigarette jwelled well earlier, but now only coffee may bring unwanted "signals" to brain to have cigarette.

Combination of tea and cigarette (at least five times a day) worked  like heaven for me when I was smoking, I stopped smoking, and couple of days went on drinking cups of tea. Now having tea and no cigarette was more frustrating, and it was becoming difficult to stay smoke free.

So, I stopped drinking tea for few days during cessation. It worked good for me.

After NML, I started taking tea couple of times in a day. Thats all.

.... killed two birds with one stone!

All the best !

ClearColors

Great job posting and asking a great question!

Wonderful answers here.

That's how you do it...

Congratulations on a great decision to quit!

0 Kudos
sweetplt

Ah Redhead101 you may have to switch it up for a bit...and drink warm tea...or drink your coffee some place out ..maybe put out a jigsaw puzzle so your hands are busy while drinking coffee...be creative...~ Colleen 397 DOF 

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

I just changed the location and didn't have a problem. I used to drink my coffee on the porch while smoking.  Now I drink it while I'm on the Ex in the morning.

Barb

LanaKay

I have always been a coffe drinker. That first cup of black coffee with a cigarette was the hardest to give up. When I quit I started using a little good creamer in my coffee. I still got my caffeine but a cigarette wouldn’t have tasted good with it. It must have worked. I’ve been smoke free for 3 1/2 years. I smoked for almost 50 years. 

indingrl

Good to see YOU comment Lana and GOOD JOB 3 1/2 YEARS - Yahooooooooooo- gentle hug

0 Kudos