cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Pookweencess

Still Struggling

What is wrong with me- why can’t I stop these cravings- I have tried deep breathing, re-directing, reaching out and accepted the cravings why won’t this stop? almost 5 1/2 months into my quit and I am waking up every morning with cravings- literally almost stopped at store last night.  I DONT WANT THESE DEMON STICKS BUT THEY WONT LEAVE ME ALONE. 

0 Kudos
24 Replies
YoungAtHeart

I wish I knew how to help you. 

Since I don't know what you have done, I have no idea what to suggest.  It is not a regular occurrence for you to still feel so triggered after so long a time.

I am left wondering if changing your self talk would help?  When you awaken, maybe first thing you practice saying is how WONDERFUL it is to be smoke free?  Have a list of benefits of quitting by your bedside to read first thing? 

Have you changed up your routines to lessen the associations and triggers? 

idk what to tell you....................wish I did.  I am so sorry it is still such a struggle for you.

Pookweencess

I love the idea of keeping a list of benefits by my bed.  I have tried speaking to the craving letting it know I release you, I have tried redirecting, walking, I don’t have any idea of what else to do.  Is it that I really don’t want to- I feel trapped in a vortex

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

DO you not want to?  Only you can answer that  - and to that I must answer. Why?  Wondering if you read the easy and entertaining Allen Carr's "Easy Way to Stop Smoking?"  It it he dispels all the myths of what you believe smoking does for you.  It was eye opening for me...if you haven't read it yet, do it now.  I also am wondering if you are prone to "romancing" the cigarette:  /blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2016/04/29/romancing-the-cigarette.

Let's keep talking!  Together we may be able to figure this out.

Nancy

Pookweencess

Thank you so much I am so grateful.  I would be okay if I just didn’t feel the craving physically.  I smoked a long time and it really is possible I am romancing it.  I read Alan Carr’s book on my 3rd attempt. I would love your advice and help

YoungAtHeart

If you still have the book, I would suggest maybe you read it again.  If you quit using nicotine 5 months ago, you are not still experiencing a physical craving.  Which brings me to my next question:  did you use an NRT and if so, how long ago did you stop it?

I will keep working this with you until we, hopefully, find an answer.  Freedom from this addiction is so wonderful, I want to help you achieve it if I possibly can.

Let's keep at it!

Pookweencess

I used patches and have been off them 2 months.  I am starting to wonder if it is cigs I am craving or is it Dr Pepper which I have been drinking since I stopped the nicotine.  It is weird that when I drink it that physical feeling goes away or lessens.  I am quitting the Dr Pepper tomorrow and going strictly water so we shall see.  Maybe it’s not demon sticks at all it’s the soda but my mind thinks it’s demon sticks- am I reaching for straws here lol

JACKIE1-25-15

Our addictive brains can be confused with thirst, hunger and trigger When you have a craving get ice-cold water, you will be retraining your brain that you need water instead of a cigarette.

0 Kudos
sweetplt

I need to agree with Nancy Youngatheart.7.4.12 I don't know how to help you.  You have worked so hard and yet you struggle so much...all I can say is hang in there and Gosh I pray it gets better for you.  Colleen 394 DOF

Pookweencess

Colleen i think Nancy May be right and I am romancing it - I just don’t know how to stop and I didn’t feel the craving physically it would be so much better- I definitely DO NOT want these demon sticks anymore