cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Augustus44

71 Days but HELP: New Year's Looms

I hope that you all had a wonderful Christmas (or whatever is appropriate). I hate saying Happy Holidays! Anyway, I have written this before, but I'm going to need some help and advice tomorrow evening ( New Year's Eve). I'm not going to be around smokers--I'm going out with a friend for dinner and then I expect to be returning home. I have this overwhelming urge to buy a pack and smoke one night only--I know it's insane, and dangerous, but the whole idea of smoking for as long as I did was insane and dangerous--and it didn't stop me. Are any of you going to be around tomorrow evening to talk, or write back and forth? I really don't want to ruin 71 days without a puff on one cancer stick, but I freely admit that tomorrow evening is going to be a bugger to get through. HELP DEAR FRIENDS. Augustus

0 Kudos
11 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Reality Check!

WHY are you still allowing the thought of smoking to enter your stream of consciousness?  Do you REALLY want to go back to Day One again  - and through the last 70, too?  Of COURSE you don't!  What a waste of a perfectly good effort.

You know that you can never, ever again smoke just one  - right?!  It will ALWAYS, maybe not right away, but ALWAYS lead you back to being a full-time smoker.  Do I need to repeat that?  A L W A Y S!  It is the law of addiction.

While you are ruminating on that, I suggest you REALLY think about how that one will feel.  To begin, the burning in your throat and bronchial tubes will be excruciating, followed by a burning, hacking, almost hork up a lung coughing spell.

You are romancing that smoking memory.  This will NOT be the reality - and it will lead you right back to where you started, a full-time smoker who thinks about quitting ALL the time.

It goes without saying you should not drink alcohol with your dinner out.

(I will be around tomorrow evening.  If you need it, blog "HELP" as your title and give us time to bring you to your senses!)

Stay committed!

Nancy

Augustus44

Thank you --would you tell me please how I go about getting to BOG, so I can ask for help? I'm not computer literate. Thank you1111111111

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

You already know - that's "blog" and you just wrote one!

(Home, Post to My Blog -center blue box)

0 Kudos
Augustus44

Thank you

On Monday, December 30, 2019, 04:28:38 PM EST, Youngatheart.7.4.12 <communityadmin@becomeanex.org> wrote:

|

BecomeAnEX

|

Re: 71 Days but HELP: New Year's Looms

reply from Youngatheart.7.4.12 in Conversations - View the full discussion

You already know - that's "blog" and you just wrote one!

(Home, Post to My Blog -center blue box)

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on BecomeAnEX

Start a new discussion in Conversations by email or at BecomeAnEX

Following Re: 71 Days but HELP: New Year's Looms in these streams: Inbox

This email was sent by BecomeAnEX because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from BecomeAnEX, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences. Be sure to click Save. News Digest emails are sent on Thursdays by default.

0 Kudos
maryfreecig

Likely someone will be around. 

But there is plenty to read on Ex if no-one responds right away.

Such as:

/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2019/08/05/give-this-the-time-it-takes  by Nancy

/blogs/oldbones-larry/2019/07/01/the-smithy  by Larry

Here's a link to my quit story--a google blog that I started in 2014. I'm suggesting it to you because in my early blogs I believed that smoking was really important --even if I didn't want to smoke. Somehow, the cigarettes made me who I was and not smoking felt so weird. Quitting Cigarettes Journal 

Set yourself up to succeed tomorrow. And congratulations on all the smobriety that you have won for yourself one day at a time.

0 Kudos
sweetplt

Hi Hon...People put too much into New Years’...no need to smoke...it is really any other evening...keep telling yourself this and do what you normally do without smoking...You can do this...I will be home and on/off computer to check on people...but I doubt I will be up past 10...prepare to not smoke...71 Days smokefree is super...and not worth losing it for one night...~ gotcha in my thoughts ~ Colleen 392 DOF 

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

You have a fabulous and firm 71 days of success.  Don't let yourself entertain that thought. It's giving yourself permission to smoke. Start the New Year off as the non-smoker you already are.   Celebrate your new beginning and not your past!

I'll be here off and on tomorrow.

Barb

0 Kudos
Augustus44

73 days and counting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To all of you wonderful people who wrote to me, with encouragement and logic, about my urge to have just one cigarette last evening ( New Year's Eve), I have good news. I made it--I had a few drinks, with a good friend who, oddly enough, mentioned smoking ( which she has never done) in connection with her granddaughter who is "vaping." She is so concerned that she offered her money to stop--to no avail. I explained the "addiction" and the need to keep up the levels of nicotine as it leaves your body. It helped her a bit, but it did wonders for me, especially after reading all of your support notes. She's going to try that argument on her granddaughter. 

MY VERY BEST WISHES TO EACH OF YOU FOR A HAPPY NEW YEAR. IF I CAN EVER HELP YOU, LIKE YOU HELPED ME, JUST CONSIDER ME 'READY.' 

Augustus

Barbscloud

I'm so happy New Year's Eve is another success for you.   It's a new association without smoking that will carry you into the future smoke free.  Isn't it amazing that someone, without knowing it,  brought you the message you needed to hear last night.

Happy New Year