cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

smokeysue

Nicotine patches

Does anyone know the difference between prescription nicotine patches and over the counter. The over the counter patches irritate my skin. Wondering if prescription would be any better. 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
NicMensinga

I am not sure there's any difference. If they are prescribes and you have a health care card (in Aust anyway) you can get them cheaper. I have to use step 2 as step 1 irritates my skin also. Maybe try a lesser dose?

0 Kudos

Some folks discovered it wasn't the patch as the irritation was the type of adhesive that was used.

(Do not know if any difference in prescription vs over the counter.)

Some folks changed spots on their body to apply their patch.

Try switching brands; it might help.

I used a wal mart brand called *equate*...less expensive then the big boys.

Anyway, just a couple of ideas for you to consider!!!

Patch was my NRT of choice, also!!!!!

Going on 14 years smoke free!!

(I rest my case!!!)

Congratulations on deciding to Quit Smoking!!!!!

Susie49

Hello new friend......I have not been to this site in a long time...I forgot how important the people were...I quit almost 8 years ago with the patches and this wonderful site........I realized after a few days to take the patch off at nite.. (I didn't smoke 24 hrs a day ..why get the nicotine 24 hrs) What a difference that made..No more icky dreams...Then my hand to mouth was fat straws...cut to length...just right in my fingers...I sucked and inhaled fresh air, blew it out and boy it felt so good to stretch my lungs but inhaling fresh air and no smoke....I wish you well and I know you WILL succeed... Susie...