cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

For those who have experienced it, what do you do about insomnia?

I’ve begun thinking about what I might experience when I quit next week. Any suggestions for dealing with insomnia?

10 Replies
JACKIE1-25-15

I took naps as often as I could.  I cut back on the caffeine and when I could not sleep I would get up and come to EX to read, write and research.  I spent a lot of time reorganizing my closets, drawers, rooms, furniture, etc  I  made the commitment that no matter what I was going through I would not smoke. NOPE no matter what.  I literally took smoking off the table and say to myself it is what I have to go through so be it.  I was not going to smoke. Fortunately, I was retired and did not have to beat the clock in the morning.  You can do this.  Where there is a will there is a way.  Stay close, it helps. 

YoungAtHeart

I didn't experience this withdrawal symptom - not everybody does.  You will need to cut back on your caffeine when you quit, including some sodas.  Not having any after about 3 PM is a good idea.  Melatonin can help - in supplement form or by heating up a bit of milk (it produces it naturally when warmed).  If you can take Benadryl, it has a drowsiness side effect.  Turn off electronics at least two hours before bed, and be sure your room is cool and totally dark. Keep a book or crossword puzzle book by your bed...don't lie there and think about not sleeping - do something, or get up and do something.  Try to include exercise earlier in the day to work out some of the built-up stress and to make you physically tired.

If all else fails and you can, nap during the day.

Most of these annoying withdrawal symptoms abate after the first month or so...and getting through them is certainly easier than lugging an oxygen tank around 24x7!!

Good planning!

Nancy

Barbscloud

It's good to be prepared, don't think you're going to have every side effect.  Some people are very tired when they quit, I had to keep moving.  We're all different.   I had little if any physical withdrawal symptoms.  Mine were mostly emotional.  I do often watch a meditation at night on YouTube to relax.  I like Jason Stephenson - has a very calming voice.

Barb

maryfreecig

Warm milk before bed. Sometimes I will take half a dose of Unisom melt if I'm not falling to sleep. Relaxing stuff only before bed. 

Ex is here for you 365. Congratulations on preparing for your quit. Keep up the good work!

ClearColors

I drink Chamomile tea and listen to audio books with a headphone.

Benadryl contains diphenhydramine.

There are other side effects.  I used to buy diphenhydramine to help me sleep.  I stopped it.

Be careful how long you take it:

https://www.verywellhealth.com/why-older-people-shouldnt-use-diphenhydramine-to-sleep-3015319

There are other side effects as well.

Barbara145

I take a magnesium supplement at bedtime.  Magnesium relaxes.

lqsi12

I took Melatonin a few times, it helps 

0 Kudos
MarilynH

I also took 5 mg of Melatonin about 20 minutes before going to bed pretty much every night in the first month or so of my quit and it helped me to get some sleep I also have taken Gravol which also works well. debodonnell312

KellanC74

I cut out caffeine I still have some insomnia but I listen to a tv show and fall back to sleep